Correct lever positions for swimming pool

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
fyfin
Resident

Correct lever positions for swimming pool

Postby fyfin » Wed May 10, 2023 10:08 pm

My friend has just had a pool built and I think he has been given the wrong instructions as to lever positions.
I would appreciate if someone can tell me if I am right. The first thing is that he has a vacuum point at the side (I haven't so I use one of the skimmers and block the other one).
Someone told him not to use the vacuum pipe but to leave it fully open. I think if you're not going to use it, then that valve should be kept closed (begs the question why even have it).
He had every valve open and the vacuum brush wasn't picking up very well. The pool company put in large tiles in the pool as opposed to the usual little blue ones, they are a brown mottled colour and not very smooth so hard to see the dust anyway.

This is what I told him and when we tried it, it worked a lot better.
For using the skimmer to vacuum, I believe the sump valve should be closed, the drain valve closed and the skimmers valve fully open.
For normal filter operation the only difference would be the sump valve could be two thirds open.
Then to backwash, valve positions as normal filter operation but open the drain valve, same for rinse.

He was also told not to use a floater with 5 in 1 chlorine tablets in it which is what I do but instead to throw chlorine granules into the pool.

I would appreciate any comments as I want to be happy I've told him right.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Correct lever positions for swimming pool

Postby El Cid » Thu May 11, 2023 8:54 am

When cleaning, the vacuum line should be fully open and the skimmers and sump valves closed. When cleaning has finished close the vacuum valve and open the sump and skimmer valves.

Sid

fyfin
Resident

Re: Correct lever positions for swimming pool

Postby fyfin » Thu May 11, 2023 9:34 am

El Cid wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 8:54 am When cleaning, the vacuum line should be fully open and the skimmers and sump valves closed. When cleaning has finished close the vacuum valve and open the sump and skimmer valves.

Sid
That's exactly what I thought, and makes perfect sense if you're going to use the vacuum line, but for some unknown reason he's been told not to use it and to use one of the skimmers (as if he hasn't got a vacuum line at all - crazy).
In that case I would say the vacuum line valve should be closed otherwise there'll be less pressure from the skimmer.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it