"Inland"

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
katy
Andalucia Guru

"Inland"

Postby katy » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:09 am

We seem to have a new breed of snobs on here now. Before it was inland versus the coast. Now we have "INLAND" What does this mean, please tell. Is inland 30 mins from the coast and "INLAND" and hour from the coast :?: Does "INLAND" infer that if you only live inland you don't know what you are talking about when discussing "INLAND" :?

Where will it all end, next year will we have Inland-inland . Some utopia where flights cost cents, everthing is priced at under a euro. Lots of work- probably paid in cents too :wink:

jane grant

Postby jane grant » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:52 am

According to the OED 'Inland' - (adjective) situated in the interior of a country, (noun) parts of the country remote from the sea or frontiers, the interior (adverb) in or towards the interior of a country.
So I guess inland is open to interpretation as to how far 'remote from the sea or frontier' is, but it's definately not on the coast.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Re: "Inland"

Postby hillybilly » Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:38 pm

I was initially confused by somebody who lives in Alhaurin el Grande referring to another mythical place called "inland". So obviously AED is not "inland". How far away from the coast do you need to be to live inland? If you have a sea view, is that inland? Or do you need to be able to smell the frying chips and sun worshippers?

MaggieMay
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MaggieMay » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:04 pm

Do the sunworshippers smell? :?
I wear it well...........

samizdat
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby samizdat » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:48 pm

inland - surely the correct term is "campo" or "vega" if we are being silly.

I think its up and over the mountain range behind Malaga¿ As a generalization its where the English are in the minority! and all communications are in Spanish. English newspapers are not readily available .

I thought Granada was happily ¨"inland"
until I learnt this week that the police are being given English lessons.! and we have an English bar downtown. although this does seem to be full of Americans and various other ex-pats.

As I am sitting in a internet cafe in Estapona, I can safely say I might as well be in UK for all the spanish being spoken here!! :oops:

BAS
Andalucia.com Amigo

Inland

Postby BAS » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:19 pm

Stand on the beach with your back to the sea, start walking and you are heading "inland" the further you walk the further "inland" you go. Easy.

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:08 pm

you know you are inland when:

The Ex-pats only eat a full english breakfast with all doors and windows bolted and curtains drawn and then burn all evedence that this food from satan was ever consumed.

The Ex-pats tut loadly when they see a UK regesters car.

The Ex-pats only ever use Spanish builders/Mechanics ect. (unless they get a cheeper quote)

The ex-pats whinge about fellow ex-pats working and not paying tax (the whinging stops briefly when they are offered 20% off for cash)

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:15 pm

But don't all these "inland" ex-pats working as electricians and builders etc. service the ex-pats or are all the Spanish falling over themselves to employ them. Everyone on this site agrees that you should only use spanish labour.

Nikvin
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nikvin » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:12 pm

as it happens Granada city centre had an "english Bar" about 25 yrs ago, maybe more...pretty unattractive, a kind of theme pub idea, supposed to recreate a typical Uk pub!!!!!!!! was vey naff.... but the local youth thought it was brill, with dart board, snooker table, warm beer, pint mugs, and not a tape in sight , and evreyone trying to speak English.
The only thing it didnt have was the UK prices, thank god

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:18 pm

katy wrote:Everyone on this site agrees that you should only use spanish labour.
everyone??

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:31 pm

Nikvin wrote:as it happens Granada city centre had an "english Bar" about 25 yrs ago, maybe more...pretty unattractive, a kind of theme pub idea, supposed to recreate a typical Uk pub!!!!!!!! was vey naff.... but the local youth thought it was brill, with dart board, snooker table, warm beer, pint mugs, and not a tape in sight , and evreyone trying to speak English.
The only thing it didnt have was the UK prices, thank god
The irony of it is that most other countries enjoy the English traditions, you can find old red telephone boxes in pubs all over the world, youths wearing Union "jack" Tshirts in places you never even new existed. Then you have the "others" usualy living in the campo who look down thier noses at all thing English and look as if they are chewing lemon.

luffes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby luffes » Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:51 am

I've read the opinions expressed by people in this thread and another that descended into a similar "coast versus inland".

I live on the coast, and the essence of what people have been saying is that I don't live in "real" Spain. To live in real Spain I have to live over an hour from the beach, where no Spanish people speak English.

Are the Spanish that live on the coast aware that they have been excommunicated?

Most of the Spanish people I come into contact with don't speak English and I try to speak to them in their own language, as I am in their country (or at least I thought I was). I am not as fluent in Spanish as I am in English and occassionally, if the Spanish person speaks English, between my Spanish their English or sign language, we tend to get the job done. I would never EXPECT them to speak English to me, as I'm sure they would not expect an English person to speak Spanish to them in England. However, if you were in England, spoke Spanish and a Spanish person struggling with English asked you for directons, would you reply in English or Spanish?

Yes more English is spoken on the coast, but then more English live here and people tend to speak the language they are most comfortable with, if both parties speak it. Everyone's speaking English on here (or some facsimile of it :wink: ) when surely there are Spanish forums where the elite could be showing off their skills?

One of my reasons for leaving the UK was because of the weather. I understand that this utopia called "inland" has a winter and a very cold one at that. I would take the "rainy season" over winter any day.

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:23 am

On a lighter side, I think that the IN word can often be used in conjunction with it's opposite and still be correct and descriptive. As in the case of my IN-LAWS who could just as correctly be called OUT-LAWS

So it really isn't that important after all. If Andalucia.com were to split it's forum into INLAND and COAST there would probably be more members in the coastal section than in the Inland. Luffes does make a valid point in that if the elitist inlanders (I do not mean all inlanders, just those who give off the elitist aura) want to purify their postings and block interference from the Coasties, why don't they talk to each other in their purist Spanish at all times.

samizdat
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby samizdat » Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:10 pm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:12 pm Post subject:
as it happens Granada city centre had an "english Bar" about 25 yrs ago, maybe more...pretty unattractive, a kind of theme pub idea, supposed to recreate a typical Uk pub!!!!!!!! was vey naff.... but the local youth thought it was brill, with dart board, snooker table, warm beer, pint mugs, and not a tape in sight , and evreyone trying to speak English.

thats still here! we went there over xmas as it was the only thing open that hadn't been booked out. Its the same, strange experience being in pub in spain particularly as we where the only ones who could be heard speaking english. It was exactly the same, full of young local kids - guess its like us going for an indian:lol:

The new bar is owned by an english young couple and quite nice, in fact didnt know they were english until i couldnt decide what to order for my friend and he corrected my spanish in english. SOrry chaps not a cooked breakfast in sight!

Susan2
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Susan2 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:52 pm

Surely, as immigrants of whatever nationality, it's encumbent upon us to learn the language, adapt to a 'spanish timetable' and embrace life in Spain? Isn't that why we came here? I can see, from my few months (seven only) that it is all too easy to just come here and carry on regardless (what a great carry-on!) but we must make an effort to at least learn the language and thereby appreciate more of Spanish culture. It can only be to our benefit.

Inland, Outland.

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:27 pm

So where is "Outland" then?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:34 pm

So how is your spanish Susan too? I presume with your outlook you started to learn before you came out. As for the spanish timetable I have lived her 15 years and never seen one.

Susan2
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Susan2 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:37 pm

No need to be confrontational - I thought this board was about helping people.

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:54 pm

I may be wrong and I may be out of order but I think everyone is on edge at present because we are not giving the new moderator a chance to sort things out.
We have had topper and his clone ID's giving grief and abuse for so long that we are all becoming paranoid. I am no better because I can not resist retorting to his stupidity and look for his return in every post and from every newbie.
I have been deleted several times because of MY OVER reaction to this fool.
I enjoy a little light hearted banter and I think that the majority od long term members (and newbies too who are equally important) do too. They do not like sensible or important threads deteriorating into tit for tat abuse.
Lets have a laugh where appropriate, not over react to a little humour and keep the light hearted threads in the general room. furthermore lets not allow topper in any of his foolish guises rile us and drag us down to his level, I've been it seen it and done it with the idiot.
I will probably bite again as I enjoy dimwit baiting, but no need for the rest of you to fall out.

peter 23

Postby peter 23 » Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:26 am

Sensible post spanish hopes, I've enjoyed the banter , as for topper and his many guises , its enjoyable when its light-hearted . Just don't be riled when he loses the plot :wink: