Blood Fish & Bone

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
brianjackson
Andalucia.com Amigo

Blood Fish & Bone

Postby brianjackson » Mon May 24, 2021 2:05 pm

For many years in the UK I have used Blood, Fish & Bone on my garden. I tried to find it in Spain, but it seems to be available for €15 a pack (plus P&P).

I used to get it in the UK for under £1 per kg. I know if I order some from the UK there will be allsorts of import duty and taxes on ot now.

Does anyone know where I can get it for a reasonable price ?

Thank you.
I hope for nothing - I fear nothing - I am free.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Blood Fish & Bone

Postby El Cid » Mon May 24, 2021 2:20 pm

Unless you only use organic fertilisers, the standard 15.15.15 abono is readily available and very much cheaper. Available from any viveros in 25kg bags.

Sid

brianjackson
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby brianjackson » Mon May 24, 2021 3:14 pm

Thanks for the response. Is this not more like Growmore than Blood Fish & Bone ?
I hope for nothing - I fear nothing - I am free.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon May 24, 2021 5:34 pm

Growmore and Blood, Fish and Bone are, to all intents and purposes identical.

There are so many different fertilisers available for all sorts of different plants, soil types and environments that it can be very confusing. In reality the sale of fertilisers is a triumph of marketing over science.

Plants do require a large number of different chemical elements for growth, but in reality only three matter. They are Nitrogen (N), Phosphorous (P) and Potassium (K). Some other elements such as Sulphur and Magnesium are also important. If you buy a packet of fertiliser it is almost certain that somewhere on the label it with show the amount of each of these elements in the form of an NPK ratio. Blood, Bone and Fish is 5:5:5 indicating equal amounts of each. A general purpose fertiliser would be 15:15:15 would be equal ratios of the three elements, but in a 3X more concentrated form.

This site gives a very good description of the various ratios and more information. https://www.pennington.com/all-products ... zer-labels

Almost all of these fertiliser products are manufactured industrially and are fairly low cost compared with "organic" versions which are very much more expensive to produce. A 25kg bag of 15:15:15 was around €14 when I last bought one. When you look at the price of a 1kg box of Growmore and compare it to the 25Kg bag of 15:15:15 you can see there is a huge markup.

You can also buy these products in a soluble form. This morning I bought a 25Kg bag of 18:18:18 to use in my irrigation system. That will last me about 5 years!

Sid