How much water for potted lemon tree?

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
Weewoody
Tourist

How much water for potted lemon tree?

Postby Weewoody » Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:31 am

I have a 5ft tree in a big pot, how much water should I give and how often. It’s on my terrace and has sun till around 2pm. Lots of blossom and quite a few baby lemons appearing already but losing a few leaves. Also how and when should I fertilise, I’ve bought some stuff for citrus plants. Any suggestions please. Typically I think I’m an overwaterer!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: How much water for potted lemon tree?

Postby El Cid » Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:19 am

It won't like being overwatered. Buy yourself a moisture probe (about €10) and then you will know whether it needs water. As for fertiliser, follow the instructions on the label. In summer I would do it every 2 weeks.

Sid

Weewoody
Tourist

Postby Weewoody » Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:08 pm

A probe is a great idea, I’ll have a wee looksee on Amazon. Thanks

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:34 am

As a rule of thumb, a lemon tree needs around 10 minutes of water once a week. We used to dig a "moat" around each tree and fill it with enough water that takes around 10 minutes to soak in. If it is in a pot, keep topping it up so that it takes the same time to soak in. If it is very hot, and you have fruit formed, give it a little more.
Hardworking resident !!

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:29 pm

We had an orange tree, probably around the same size - maybe a little smaller. it was in a pot with a tray, and i was filling the tray every other day. it sucked the water up like a hoover.

now i´ve put it in the ground i´ll give it a half bottle (4-5 litres) every couple of days.

Blossom is coming up and the little oranges are growing
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:30 am

funny enough i watered the little tree day before yesterday, and when i went home yesterday, all the big leaves had dropped off, and new ones are growing.. It seems to of taken root where we put it.. fingers crossed its ok in this heat
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:53 am

I have a lemon tree in the patio surrounded by tiles but with a half metre square of earth covered with river stones. It is an established tree. It's one of those that has blossom, green lemons and yellow lemons practically all the year around. It never gets watered but has what falls from the sky. It seems to be fine but a few leaves do fall off most days and new ones grow. Evergreen trees, and a lemon is an evergreen, I guess, do lose leaves and new ones grow all the time. (Not added much to the thread but I'm awake and not doing much else).