What type of garden have you got?

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
La Raya
Andalucia.com Amigo

What type of garden have you got?

Postby La Raya » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:46 pm

I thought that now there is a gardening forum it migh be interesting to hear about the different types of gardens people have. Small/large; ornamental; veg.; orchard etc?

Bob

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:41 pm

We have 5200m2 mainly planted with orange trees (90ish), plus mandarin, plum, fig, olive, walnut, grapefruit, pear, nispero,apricot,lemon,khaki, pomegranate. We have a large area set aside for veggies, but so far have only got as far as OH rotivating it!
We have lots of flowers. At the minute my Arum Lillies are my favourite.
Last year we planted 700+ Tuyos around the fencing.

Whats your garden like Bob?
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

La Raya
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby La Raya » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:33 pm

We are also big fans of Arum Lillies and they are at there best at the mo. Our garden is 2200m, so not quite on your scale Karen. We have 3 main sections: Orchard with 40 trees - orange; lemon; olive;pears; apricot; nipero(loquat); almonds; peach; pomegranates, cherry and figs. - many came with the house but we've planted about 10 young trees.
We have established a veg plot of about 300m2 and we grow an increasingly wide variety of veg throughout the year.
Last year we planned and planted up an ornmental area with a variety of flowering shrubs and plants that we chose for there drought resistance. This is starting to look good and has given us some welcome colour throughout the seasons.

Karen, what are Tuyos? :?

Bob

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:49 pm

Wow, am envious of your veg garden. Any started tips would be welcomed!!

Tuyos are like cypress, but instead of growing tall then bushing out, they grow slower but bush out at the same time. we have planted them very close together (4 to a metre) and they have more than doubled in size this past year. We have put them between the mature pines and other trees and climbers around the perimeter fencing.
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:03 pm

I have a long gravelled one...with a few plants at two of the corners...i planted a few that were recommended by A.com members-yukkas and poinsettia(in memory of my puppy)I have jasmine and passion flowers...I would like a big palm tree,but they cost so much money... :shock:

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:25 pm

I am in the process (well, my gardener is mostly!) of "renovating" the garden of my cortijo in Cordoba. It was obviously once well-loved but then left to run wild.
Some huge palms that needed a haircut and which now look fab, a huge fig tree and sundry other fruit trees (loads of plums) that are now pretty much under control. Several trees that were dead and had to be removed. Lots of cypress trees that had to be halved in height.
It's taken a year to find out what there is in it...the plumbago (loads of blue flowers for months) and the abundance of narcissi were a lovely surprise.
My most recent addition is a "desert" garden...lots of succulents and cacti with a sand ground covering. For the rear courtyard (if it's ever free of rubble and building materials) I'm planning a low, star-shaped Moroccan water/fountain feature. Am also trying some box hedging in places.
The bouganvilla I planted suffered a frost attack but I think it is going to survive. Most of the tulip bulbs I put in became tree rat snack food.
And then there are the "pot" plants that my builder is cultivating with great care...

ron
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ron » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:13 am

hilly,
good luck with your bougainvillea. they don't often survive frost.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:21 am

Oh bug ger! The stems are still green underneath which is why I'm hopeful, although it don't look too good! How do you get them established in frost-prone areas? Do you just have to protect them during the cold weather?

ron
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ron » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:45 am

If they are outside I hope they are in a sunny sheltered site. If they are still green try wrapping them in horticultual fleece until all risk of frost is over.
I used to help in a nursery, we lost 25% over winter in an unheated polytunnel. Lost 75% of rest after we unwrapped them. This was cos of a strong, cold wind blowing from the north

La Raya
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby La Raya » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:55 am

[quote="karandjon"]Wow, am envious of your veg garden. Any started tips would be welcomed!!

Your envious!!! An orchard with 90+ citrus, Iwill certainly be looking for advice to help with my 7. :oops:

As for veg garden advice, fwiw plan out a good systema goteo dripper irrigation system, before you start planting. Plan is the word though 'cause you can't easily move it once it's in. :?

Bob

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:17 am

We have a large garden which is a fairly formal layout with mainly flowers. In addition we have two small orchards with a total of about 20 fruit trees of various sorts and about 5000m2 of almond trees.

No one has mentioned roses so far. We built a formal rose garden as an integral part of the garden design and stocked it with 70 different varieties of (mainly English) roses.

This is what it looked like at the end of April last year.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:20 am

Love the roses Sid. We have a few as I like to cut them too. Ours do well now but when the hot weather comes they hardly flower, any tips?

As for our garden, just a normal one found in the suburbs 1200m2. Most formal, mature conifers, some palms and yuccas. About a third is what we call the orchard. 4 oranges, 2 lemons and one of every other fruit. This part is our most problematic (fruit fly etc.) as we look after it ourselves. We also have a large cacti plot which is outside our boundary but acts as a buffer into the campo, some of those lovely green and yellow ones and some small that have lovely flowers which only last a day!

geegee
Resident

Postby geegee » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:12 pm

Well my 'garden' is the 50 acres belonging to the finca but its all au-naturale apart from the organic veg/fruit garden which is now developing nicely after 2 years of hard work. We inherited wild/formerly cultivated quince, pear, fig, pomegranate, caci/persimmon, a few almond and walnut trees, some tangles of blackberries, lots of wild herbs, wild asparagus, the odd wild mushroom and cangrejo in the river. Since then have planted around 10 young fruit trees (apple, pear, plum, fig, apricot and peach with varying degrees of sucess - I dont expect the apricot and peach will thrive given our altitude but thought it worth a shot, just in case).

The productive area is centred on a parcela of about an acre and encompases a small orchard where most of the above fruit trees are and where the chicken run will soon be. The veg garden has 8 raised veg beds 1.4 x 5m and a large open bed around 12m2 for overspill crops, giving around 70m2 for the veggies, plus borders for companion flowers herbs and salads, a fruit cage for soft fruit, 2 asparagus beds, a comfrey bed, manure heap, 3-bin composting area and a tool shed. Its a lovely site near the river, fairly sheltered but with great views to the mountains beyond.

Plans are afoot for a drought-resistant 'natural garden' which uses only indigenous species suited to our very particular microclimate. This is designed around an eco-pool and gently curving terrace, with a series of earth paths, clearings and terraced beds planted with local herbs and flowers that follow the natural contours of the land. The scheme will use earth banking and evergreen hedging to create barriers and shady areas for chillling out and use 'borrowed scenery' to create reveals and vistas. However, its all in the planning still and its always hard to imagine in advance, especially as the intended site is currently wholely overrun with retama.

The wild herbs and flowers are fantastic and much of the land will be left as it is, but we plan to give over some areas to cultivating wood for coppicing to feed our biomass H&HW system and to growing feed crops for animals.

Hilly, love to hear how your box hedging gets on - are you actually planning to use box or something like pistaceae lentiscus - a small-leaved evergreen shrub native to these parts? I have been hunting for this plant for some time but although it grows wild, I can never find it in the garden centres near me...

Yes, congratulations on the roses Sid, what a simply fabulous and hugely impressive display that must have taken you years of TLC to establish.

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:06 pm

Cid, thanks for sharing those great pictures, the garden is a credit to you and a lot of hard work, more pictures of other peoples gardens would be great,

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:13 pm

Hi geegee, the box I've planted is "proper" box (boj/buxus)...I bought it from the Soria garden centre nr Antequera.

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:08 pm

Sid

Stunning display. How long do you manage to keep the flowering season going?

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:58 pm

The roses keep blooming all year. I prune them in mid January and this year that meant cutting nearly 100 blooms at that time.

They are now flowering again, in fact the first flowere to appear was 8 weeks from the date of pruning.

To answer Katy's question, they do slow down a bit during July and August but even then only slightly. I expect to get about 5 "crops" a year totalling nearly 10000 blooms (yes, I do count them - how sad!)

They really do like the hot climate. It was the Moors who introduced them to Spain, in fact the best display of roses I have seen was in Marrakech in Morocco.

I bought them from Fryers Roses in the UK. They ship to Spain at a reasonable cost.

To Ken2 - yes let's see some more garden pictures. It's easy to upload photos to www.photobucket.com and them paste the IMG link into your message.

Sid

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:49 am

I feel to embarrassed to post a pic of mine...its a shambles compared to sids-not much growing in it at all..
I would post a pic if someone can give me advice on where to pant,its so long and thin and boring with gravel..not very exciting at all! :oops:

gretch
Resident

Re: What type of garden have you got?

Postby gretch » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:52 am

La Raya wrote:I thought that now there is a gardening forum it migh be interesting to hear about the different types of gardens people have.
Bob
Mine’s a pig of a garden, well, it isn’t really a garden yet.
I’m in the process of buying 800 mts of land next to my house that used to be a threshing circle, and now, what isn’t stone is a thin layer of clay above stone (very little of it is actual soil). And due to the altitude, in winter, we get very heavy frosts and snow and in summer, it’s hot and dry.
I don’t what I’ll be able to grow in it, but my wife thinks we’ll be semi self-sufficient in no time; It’s all her idea, of course :shock: :? :?

gretch

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:21 pm

Hope you dont intend to dig up the Threshing Circle. Friends of ours did and built a wall with the stone. He was informed that the circles are protected and had to replace every stone as best he could!!
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.