Tips to stop the gardener snapping my sprinklers

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
Pigeon Tim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Tips to stop the gardener snapping my sprinklers

Postby Pigeon Tim » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:37 pm

I'm on my 7th different gardener now in 4 years and all of them bar one have constantly managed to strim and mow over the lawn sprinklers. They are the type that sit level in the ground and pop up when the water comes on.

I'm sick of trips upto Leory Merlin for new ones and then there's the time it takes to dig out the lawn, then area around the tubes and fit the new ones. I've got to the point were by I've told them not to mow or strim the grass around the edges and leave it to me but now they've managed to stand of two of them and snap them clean off at the threads lower down :roll:

So, anyone got any good tips (apart from a cattle prod to the ribs of said gardener) on how to protect them from future breakages otherwise I'm tempted to tarmac over the whole area.

toddcl
Resident

Postby toddcl » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:42 pm

Dig up the lawn an gravel it all.
It will save wasting much needed water and you can cut down on gardening costs. :roll:
Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated into the collective

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:45 pm

Ditch them and get a sprinkler. The number of times I have cursed those bloody pop-up things having stubbed my toe them... They are now banished from our garden.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:18 pm

When the damage is done again,take it out of the gardeners wages...im sure he would be more careful next time when mowing over them... :lol:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:46 pm

Beachcomber wrote:Ditch them and get a sprinkler. The number of times I have cursed those bloody pop-up things having stubbed my toe them... They are now banished from our garden.
Well they are obviously not set deep enough in the lawn.

We have 8 sprinklers and I cannot see any of them until they pop up when the irrigation comes on.

Sid

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:23 pm

Get some plastic drain pipe, cut it into sections a few inches long, dig a hole around the sprinklers then place a piece of pipe over them. have a look at lawns around your local area to see what the council do. Usually they fill the pipe around each sprinkler with cement, so that the sprikler is fixed in place, but I can see problems with that, in that if you need to replace one, it'll be hard to remove.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:47 pm

Forgot to mention - we're on our 3rd gardener in as many years; the 1st was just too destructive; the 2nd suggested the pipes, as described, and even fitted them - then proceeded to destroy both a piece of pipe and the sprinkler with his mower. When we deducted the price of a new sprinkler from his wages, he threatened to murder us and our entire extended family. We changed gardener. The new gardener has so far destroyed two sprinklers and their protective pipes, but does not appeat to have homicidal thoughts when replacing them out of his own pocket.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:33 pm

There is a simple solution - cut your own lawn!

If you don't live here permanently don't have a lawn!
:D
Sid