cauliflowers/beetles

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
tjtops
Resident

cauliflowers/beetles

Postby tjtops » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:25 pm

Does anyone know what the orange beetles with black spots are? They have infested my cauliflower plants which are resolutely refusing to 'make flowers.' The hearts of the plants are covered with these beetles (which are oval-shaped, up to about 1cm long by 1/2 cm wide...) and the outer leaves are definitely getting eaten ??? Mind you, I have pulled off a couple of snails....hmmmm....help please!!
Life is as good as you make it, just keep my glass half full

julian
Andalucia Guru

RECIPE

Postby julian » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:12 pm

when I saw the topic cauliflowers/beetles I thought you were going to give us a new recipe ! shame :)

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:01 pm

hmmm...cauliflowers au gratin con beetles frito en ajo???!!!

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:05 am

PS.... had a Google (or was it a gargle??)...and I think they are a variety of 'bean beetle'......does this mean anything to anyone? More to the point, will an ordinary insecticide, eg Confidor, kill them...??

geegee
Resident

Postby geegee » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:38 am

Sounds like it could be shield bugs, do they have a defined head and then a body in the shape of a shield?). Our cabbage and broccoli were infested with the orange and black critters last year because I did not net them. I am afraid prevention is better than cure...using 'cabbage collars' on your cauli, fine mesh over them to stop the critters getting ithere in the first place...short of insecticide you would need to pick them off, but this is tricky as they leap around a lot when you try! We were lucky enough that the cabbages set flower before the infestation, so we managed to get a limited crop but with smaller heads than we otherwise would have got.

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:13 am

yes geegee...that description fits 'em to a T. I've tried spraying with Confidor so I'll see...do they eat anything else do you know??

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:50 pm

Leather settees and Citreon Dianes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:05 pm

Wow. They have taste then!!! :wink:

geegee
Resident

Postby geegee » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:29 am

Like 'cabbage' white butterflies they seem to love any brassicas - cauli, cabbage, broccoli etc., that was my first year of planting brassicas and they appeared as if by magic, having never seen them before - but no leather sofas in my huerta so thats ok then :)