Scented Plants

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
kexon
Resident

Scented Plants

Postby kexon » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:49 pm

We are building flower bed containers in what will be a spanish courtyard area.I particularly like scented plants and have jasmine and dame de noche,but wondered if anyone knows of any other scented plants that will thrive in the heat and full sun of summer.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Re: Scented Plants

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:37 pm

I would think that rosemary & lavender would do quite well....
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:25 am

Try Gardinias, wonderful perfume.
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.

geegee
Resident

Postby geegee » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:57 am

Fantastic project Kexon! I agree Chrissie, nothing beats the heady smell of mediterranean herbs and also citrus-tree flowers in the heat of summer (we have a perpetual flowering lemon which is lovely). I love the tactile way the scent is released when you brush against the herbs, especially lavender. You could plant a citrus in the centre of each flowerbed and surround with lots of flowering herbs next to the paths. Scented climbers like your jasmine or clematis grown up wigwams would also be lovely features to create some height. Myrtle is a small-leaved evergreen with an attractive aromatic perfume and delicate creamy-white flowers, it would make a nice alternative to box for low, trimmed hedges around the beds for that authentic courtyard look. Scented pelargoniams of course are a must, if your situation is hot enough, hibiscus bushes have gorgeous dramatic flowers, I love the red ones in the Malaga cathedral courtyard, the pendulous heady scent of wisteria blooms grown over a pergola is classic courtyard too...the list is endless, ooh, but I think I am getting a wee bit carried away, you were only asking for advice on scented plants not wholesale garden design!!!

kexon
Resident

Postby kexon » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:55 pm

Many Thanks for your suggestions.I really like the sound of geegees new garden,were you a landscape gardener in the past? Anyhow some very good suggestions.I already have jasmine,lavender would be good addition and also gardinia.Wont be adding citrus trees though as we have plenty to look after in our orchard and I adore the scent when in flower.Think I shall have to take a trip to the coast as where I live they tend to only sell Olive,Citrus trees etc.Its quite a big project but is going well so far and as we have the space for it, I thought well why not!

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:44 pm

Kexon, I bought my lavender plants from the garden place off the Marchena-Morón road, on the left as you head towards Morón. The first lot I bought were tiny the 2nd a lot bigger, but now you would never know which were which. The tiny ones cost me pennies. Lavender is so easy to grow from seed. My neighbour bought her gardenia plant there too. I think you have to just keep popping in there and be lucky. There is also a garden place just before Lidl in Morón, on the right hand side, just nefore the junction where you can turn right. I keep saying I will go in there, but have not managed to go there yet. They look like they have quite a lot of plants.

kexon
Resident

Postby kexon » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:30 pm

Thanks Oliveview,yes we have used the garden centre at Moron before,as you say it is very hit and miss regarding what plants they have ,also they seem to have far more plants in the late spring which is ridiculous as it doesnt give the plants time to get their roots down before the blistering heat arrives!I also find their range of plants very limited,though the people that run it are very helpful.I shall have a look at the plant shop near Lidl as hadnt noticed it before.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:25 pm

Kexon, I´ve got some lavender seeds, if I get them planted and they I will let you know! I should be gardening and not sitting here.
I have had seeds sent out from Thompson & Morgan, I got their new catalogue today and there are lots of scented flowers in there- stock, sweet pea, brugmansia (angels trumpet), datura, there is a scented cyclamen (cycads-scentsation mixed), dianthus, nicotiana- there must be more,that is just a quick look through the catalogue.
T & M have an offer on at the moment, a pack of seeds of your choice if you spend 10.00 pounds or more. It says if you are ordering online put the order code in the yellow box on the order form/shopping basket.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:33 pm

Angels Trumpets smell fantastic in the evening. We have three mature ones, white and a sort of tea rose colour, about two metres high. They do need a lot of water in summer and like hibiscus they are always falling. I think the flower heads are poisonous.

The Garden centres on the coast sell them.

ron
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ron » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:47 pm

Katy, the whole plant is narcotic and poisonous

geegee
Resident

Postby geegee » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:26 pm

Hi kexon, I do have a design background and have done some landscaping and planting as part of architectural schemes but really I am just an enthusiastic amateur gardener inspired by your lovely project! Anyway, another thought, if you get the chance and have not already visited, the viana palace (think that was the name) in cordoba is perfect inspiration and might give you some more planting ideas? They have around a dozen different courtyard gardens - gorgeous!

kexon
Resident

Postby kexon » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:54 am

A big thankyou to everyones suggestions.I have several Brugmansias on the patio,as I adore the flowers and the scent,though they are time consuming and every insect on the planet seems to like a good munch on the leaves! Thanks also to geegee,good ideas and shall incorporate some including hibiscus,I especially like the larger saucer sized flowers.No we havent been to the place you mentioned in Cordoba but shall definitely go and have a look,though it may be a while as we still have lots of work to do on the house and obviously the courtyard.Have already built one flowerbed and planted my jasmine,which i shall surround with lavender.We shall also be incorporating seating areas,so we have lots to do,but can fit in the work around other jobs,the flower beds will be built first so I can plant up and the roots can settle in over the autumn.