Getting bulbs to grow in pots

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
janda_grant2
Resident

Getting bulbs to grow in pots

Postby janda_grant2 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:48 pm

I had the bright(?) idea of starting some cheerfulness bulbs off in a pot for my Spanish neighbour as a Christmas present - three months ago! I've had them indoors, in the garage, out doors, in the light, in the dark but nothng seems to have inspired them to shoot. Not having an airing cupboard am now out of ideas, anybody able to help?
I can spell but I can't type

campocaro1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Getting bulbs to grow in pots

Postby campocaro1 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:17 pm

May be a duff batch ? I planted bulbs in pots outside and in the beds and most of them are up now. I bought some snowdrops in Austria and none of them have come up yet. :( The other ones that are not appearing yet are tulips which are usually the last the appear.

May be best to buy some that have come up in your local garden centre and give those instead!

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:00 am

They certainly sound duff ! I planted some exotic bulbs at the end of October ( belladonna for one :lolno: and no, I don't have any plans for them !) which I had bought back from Madeira and they are all up and thriving. I just hope the cold snap that is due doesn't kill them off.
If you want some good flowering bulbs, keep a check on Lidl - they usually have a nice range of Xmas bulbs at reasonable prices and they are good quality.

janda_grant2
Resident

Postby janda_grant2 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:48 pm

Should have posted on here weeks ago - went to check the bulbs yesterday -and they're up! S*ds law! Bit thanks for the input anyway.
I can spell but I can't type