Buying Roses

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Buying Roses

Postby olive » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:19 pm

I have had a look around a couple of local garden centres and have been less than impressed with their tired Rose stock left over from last year with no new stuff coming in understandably.

I am prepared to travel all the way to Malaga etc to get plants. Can anyone suggest a place with a good selection of ground cover roses and small to medium climbing roses ? What is the big grower (Dutch?) somewhere near Alhaurin like?

The alternative is to get them mailorder from the UK I guess!

olive

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Buying Roses

Postby El Cid » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:36 pm

olive wrote: The alternative is to get them mailorder from the UK I guess!
I did that 6 years ago when we built our house.

They have been a great success. We got them from http://www.fryers-roses.co.uk and the postage was very fair. They have a huge selection. I was unable to find any suppliers in Spain that could offer more than about 5 varieties and they were Red, Pink,White, Yellow and Butano (yes, you've guessed it - Orange ).

Sid

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:17 am

its still a little early for this years Roses to hit the shelves .. if you can wait till mid march time you should have oodles of choice.

Last year I bought 30 plants from Lidl for just 2.90 each, with only one casually. There not named but at that price you cant expect that.
Leroys will have them and so will Aldi, as well as all the garden centers, although the garden centers usually pot up dry rooted palnts and sell them as pot grow and charge alot more. I watched them doing it !

Dont for get that roses really do benifit from fresh estiércol, if you can get it !

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:10 am

I had some sent over from the UK which have done well but I bought three named varieties in Eroski five years ago which have done even better. They grow to 8 ft and flower all year round, if you were closer you could have some cuttings.

Mhic.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:05 pm

There just comming into ALDI - March 4th . 2.75E

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:00 pm

Even Cheaper in Lidl - 1.99E ...out now !

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:15 pm

Avoid these cheap supermarket roses.

They are dipped in wax to stop them drying out and they will take a few years to do anything useful.

Look out for decent sized roses growing in pots and preferably in bloom or just about to bloom. These will be available in a decent viveros in a couple of months. Expect to pay over €4.

We bought most of our roses from suppliers in the UK and yes, they averaged out at about £6 each but they are brilliant.

We have about 75 roses and about 65 of them are individual varieties.

Roses will last for years and are well worth buying the best in the first place.

Sid

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:23 am

True ! ... you only get what you pay for, but mother nature catches up

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:53 pm

Sid...I'm speechless with admiration, that is gorgeous. I know how much work and aftercare it must have taken...well done indeed.

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:01 pm

Sid's rose garden is even better than the photo................. the perfume is a whole new dimension and the velvety texture of the petals mmmm.... They are a credit to Sid and his wife. :clap: :mrgreen:
Will some be in bloom for Easter or has the weather delayed them this year?
Sandramay

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:24 pm

Sandramay wrote: Will some be in bloom for Easter or has the weather delayed them this year?
They are pretty much the same as usual. I pruned then second week of January and they are growing strongly now.

The first blooms usually appear mid April so it is usually after Easter. Mid May is when the first "crop" is at its peak. They produce about 5 more "crops" until Xmas and then they get the chop!

They produce about 10000 blooms over the flowering season.

Sid

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:01 pm

Resurrecting this rose thread Sid as I am in gardening mode at the moment.

Your beautiful climbers, are they quick growers? As for pruning climbers, how far back do you cut them.
Would the climbers succeed in a very large deep trough?
Any special tips on taking good care of them?

I've never, ever, ever, grown roses, always thought they were maybe difficult to deal with.
So I have come to the expert :wave:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:18 pm

Paula wrote:Resurrecting this rose thread Sid as I am in gardening mode at the moment.

Your beautiful climbers, are they quick growers? As for pruning climbers, how far back do you cut them.
Would the climbers succeed in a very large deep trough?
Any special tips on taking good care of them?

I've never, ever, ever, grown roses, always thought they were maybe difficult to deal with.
So I have come to the expert :wave:
Yes they grow reasonably quickly. It takes about 2-3 years for them to get to their full height which for a climber is 2-3 metres. Ramblers can go higher.

You don't really prune climbers. You cut out any dead wood and train the new shoots where you want them. It's a tidy up job rather than a prune. If you do cut them right back there is a risk they can revert to the non climbing variety and stop climbing.

Climbers can become almost like small trees with a really big thick base which doesn't lend itself to growing in a pot. That said they will grow but not to anything like their potential.

Best of luck with them. They are lovely plants and very rewarding.

Sid

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:12 am

Thanks Sid :)

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:53 pm

http://www.davidaustinroses.com/english ... ageId=1920

This page gives details about pruning. I have some climbers which I bought from David Austin. The first year they were a bit feeble, but after that they've been wonderful.

I agree that roses do really well here. I've had a few Spanish ones and most are OK, other than one which has the most beautiful dark red, really fragrant flowers, but puts out 2 suckers for every proper stem. It's for the compost heap
AlisonB

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:45 am

El Cid wrote:Avoid these cheap supermarket roses.

They are dipped in wax to stop them drying out and they will take a few years to do anything useful.

Sid
I bought a couple from Lidl this spring- waste of time/space/water. The roses I bought from the garden center are lovely, worth the couple of euro´s more, we will be buying more in the autumn.

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:04 am

AlisonB.
I have a dark red rose smells great grows well never found a sucker on it, your welcome to some cuttings.

Mhic

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:17 pm

Mhic. Cuttings would be great - have you actually done some? I tried in UK but never got anywhere. Haven't tried here, but now it's gone to the compost, I do miss it.
AlisonB

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:31 pm

Sorry Alison missed your post.
Yes I've had a lot of success with cuttings and given loads away to friends. Roses are about the only thing I seem able to grow, I just dip in rooting powder and push into earth. The best one I have is highly perfumed and dark red. Let me know if you want any and perhaps we can arrange to meet up.

Mhic.