Whats this climber called?

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Whats this climber called?

Postby princess peach » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:21 am

I have seen in quite a few gardens here a climbing plant(looks to be a big one)
Its flowers are bright bright orange,i have only seen this plant from a distance,but the flowers look like buds :? i havent ever seen the buds open...does anyone know what this climber could be called,i want to buy one for my arbour. :D

Oh and its not Honeysuckle.Maybe from the same family :think:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Whats this climber called?

Postby El Cid » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:49 am

It sounds like a Venusta. Correct name Bignonia Venusta or Pyrostegia Venusta. In Spanish it's Bignonia de las Llamas. It's just finishing flowering now but it is a really good plant for the winter.

http://www.floridata.com/ref/P/pyro_ven.cfm

Sid

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:53 am

you must live in an impressive ouse PP, do you ave many boats in your arbour?? :)

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:47 am

It's a pain in the rear and I've been trying to kill my one for over a year. It spreads like mad coming up all over the place, I found a shoot over twelve feet from the main plant. My one is to close to a peach tree to use anything other than sprays, does cover a nasty looking wall though.

Mhic.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:50 am

Thats the one Sid!
Brilliant.I will now go armed to the garden center with it wrote on a piece of paper. :thumbup: Thankyou V much.xx

Julian,have a made a fool out of myself??
Them wooden things are called arbours arent they..you are pulling my leg arent you.. :oops: :oops: :lol:

Mhic,if i buy one it will be contained in a large metre long/half a metre wide concrete trough.It cant go anywhere except over the "Arbour"..(stop laughing Julian :oops: )so it should do the exact job i want it to :thumbup:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:01 am

It should be fine in a trough that size but they do take a year or two to really get going.

Eventually it will be climbing the masts of all the boats in your arbour :D :D

Sid

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:17 am

I bought one of these over 4 years ago. It's never done anything, just twiggy with maybe 3 flowers if I am lucky. So I bought another one :think: put it in a different spot, and that was twiggy for a year then died. The first one I bought is still there but just doesn't do anything. They obviously don't like my garden/soil or whatever. They are beautiful in winter when established. I really wanted one :evil:

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:08 pm

Eventually it will be climbing the masts of all the boats in your arbour
Sid dont you start...now you have me doubting myself...im off to google it make sure ive said the right thing..you are talking about a Harbour not an arbour... :crazy: im confuddled..

Paula,pleeeeeeease dont say things like that....I really want one as well. :think: naa,they must be alright where i am as the guy down the road has a cracker in his garden...mmm,not in a trough tho...oh well,im going to have a go,if the b***** dies it can join all my failed chilli plants in hedge heaven :angel:

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:10 pm

http://www.taylorsgardenbuildings.co.uk ... hp?cat=387

You pair of wind up merchants!
I knew i was saying the right thing...Your soooo not funny. :lol:

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:00 pm

Yes loads of people near me have them too, that means nothing in my sad experience. There is a lot of rock in parts of my garden, some places can't be dug down very far, it's probably that. I have got loads of lovely plants that have taken really well, but there are some that just won't do it for me, mostly they seem to be climbers that don't fair very well. Maybe your trough is the way to go.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:13 pm

Maybe your trough is the way to go.
i suppose ill see what happens to it when i can get one,plant it and sit and watch.fingers crossed it will be o.k. :? watch this space. :(

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:44 pm

We bought a couple and put them on the fence - lost one in the frost last year and the other one, Like Paula's is straggly and struggling. Had a few flowers this year so I have bought two more and put either side of it in the hope one will take off. It could be because our soil down there is like sand.
If you have room PP I would plant 2 together and see what happens - they were only 6 euros each.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:57 pm

well at least you got your plants pretty cheap Murbisa..i think i can afford to take a gamble on two at that bargain price. :thumbup:

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:39 pm

Well,ive just purchased one,I was going to buy two,but the rest didnt look too good,cost E8.00 so not too bad,the next garden centre i went to they were E16.00..
will let you know how its getting on...Not planting it just yet,will wait for the soil to dry out a bit. :?

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:46 pm

I find the prices in garden centres vary alot and you have to shop around. Some things cheap in one and some cheap in another. Hope it grows for you PP.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:44 pm

Thanks Murbisa,so do i... :?

carlosandlinda
Tourist

Postby carlosandlinda » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:09 pm

Hi PP,

Can you reccomend a garden centre around or near SM. :D

We went to Agrojardin on Sunday, damm that place is expensive. :thumbdown:

regards

Carlos

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:53 pm

Hello C & L. :wave:
There is one that has opened along the Atunara beach road,on the way to SM,there is a sign just past the ASANSULL place on the left.My neighbour wne last summer when she was here and said it was o.k.I havent been and dont know if its still open,tho the signs are still there. :?

I always go to San Martin,there are two lovely ones,the second one along into the village on the right is much better and has more variety of plants,and are very reasonable.I bought my climber there for 8E,the other garden centre further along wanted 16E.However,both are much cheaper and have so much more than AgroJardin..I only go there when im bored.. :lolno:

If you would like directions,please let me know and i will help you out..

There is also another cracking little one,on the rickety road to Sabbi market on the left.A very nice couple own that,that is full of little treasures.Its not the first big one on the left hand side with a big car park..This one is hidden on the left further up towards the market and you have to park on the road.
Well worth a visit there as well. :thumbup:

rubia
Tourist

Postby rubia » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:30 pm

I think both of them on that road up to the market are very good - these are my local garden centres. The Sunday market itself also has a couple of good plant stalls - I bought a lovely Jasmine plant from the market last year which is over 6 feet tall and cost me around 15 euro - the smell is gorgeous :D and it's a great climber too.

I buy my dog food (Eukanuba) and harnesses from the big store for my little ( :lolno: ) bully - not cheap but I think sometimes you get what you pay for ...... well, nothing's expensive where my baby is concerned - only the best for him whilst I walk around like the tramp that's just found him wandering! :lol:

carlosandlinda
Tourist

Postby carlosandlinda » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:55 pm

Many thanks PP,
We'll have a trip out over the next few weekends if it ever stops raining. Front and back gardens have nada at the moment, (postage stamps), so a little landscaping to be done.

Hi rubia,
We started our little perro on Eukanuba, then the bloody shop was closed down by the GC, (no pet license), and no other pet shop in Chiclana sold it :( . Dearest but the best.
But the first job at this new house is to fit a front gate to stop him getting on the road. Then we'll get round the markets and garden centres.

Thank you both, carlos