worms

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
morlandg
Resident

worms

Postby morlandg » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:13 am

First off may I say that I am not a gardener.
Three years ago my nectarine started fruiting and has continued ever since. However every single fruit that I have picked has a hole on the outside and a black mess with worm(s) present on the inside. We have not been able to eat a single fruit yet.
I overheard an old guy in a bar last week saying that he would have to spray his fruit trees again. I told him my story and he said that the problem was due to a certain fly coming over from Morocco some 3 years ago. They lay their eggs on the base of the flowers and the grubs eats their way into the developing fruit. The answer is to spray the trees as they start flowering with a solution of bleach (100ml) and washing-up liquid (100ml) diluted down to 5 litres. He told me this is what his spanish neighbours use.
I have sprayed my trees once last Friday and will repeat again soon. Has anyone heard of this problem and solution?

Martin Page
Resident

Re: worms

Postby Martin Page » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:26 am

Really really DONT spray your trees with Bleach !!! at any concentration.
It would be the same as spraying with weed killer (which is of the same chemical family) !

Yes - your trees could do with being sprayed against the pests and im sure your local Veveros will advise the best preparation for your problem. Tar oil winter wash would be used in the UK but I havent seen it out here. It does need doing before bud burst !

Again - DO NOT use Bleach !!!

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:20 pm

Was the old guy in the bar pi**ed when he suggested spraying the blossom with bleach? :thumbdown:
Even if the blossom survives I can't see that many bees will be willing to pollinate it.
Go to the local Viveros and ask for a suitable insecticide for nectarine trees. I don't know what type of infestation you have, nectarines don't grow very well here in Coín as we don't have low enough winter temperatures, but most worm infestations e.g. like the mediterranean fruit fly are caused by the fly laying their eggs into the ripening fruit.
Find out when you need to spray, the fruitfly only lays eggs here from April till October here but their larvaie are cream coloured.
Ann

morlandg
Resident

Postby morlandg » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:11 am

Thanks Ann & Martin. I hope I haven't done too much damage with my spraying last week!
I'll try to ask at the Vivero - my spanish may not be up to it.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:08 pm

If your buying ...youl find the spanish very helpfull if you know the basic words for what you want.

Your problem is when they explain to you, how to use it - dont bother too much about it .

When you get home type the name of what ever thay have sold you into google and then get the instructions in English (or use the google auto translate)