What should I be planting now? November

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
campocaro1
Andalucia.com Amigo

What should I be planting now? November

Postby campocaro1 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:19 am

Ok so I have put horse XXXX on my beds and we have had a nice bit of rain. I have put some broccoli plants in, some rocket plants I grew from seed and some flower bulbs in pots that I saved from last year. Some perpetual spinach is doing nicely.

What should I be planting now? What seedlings should I buy and what seeds should I plant?

I am inland and although it gets cold at night we rarely have hard frosts. I have a room inside where I can bring on seeds over winter.

Any advice appreciated!

Martin Page
Resident

Re: What should I be planting now? November

Postby Martin Page » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:49 pm

Your about 4 weeks too late now for sowing ... start of october is the seed planting time .

Not to worry .. if you can buy plugs you can plant anything, even beetroot and carrots.
A good rule of thumb is if a nursery ( note, nursery! - Not garden center ) have plants then its time for planting.

Also trees , fruit bushes , strawberies, garlic etc - dont plant onion sets here in spain, buy either dry rooted plants or seed plugs. Parsnips can prove dificult too !

This time is what I call the second summer (English) since you can plant just about anything and it will make it before the real cold weather comes. but dont hesitate you only have 7 weeks befor christmas and the shortest day.

Let us know how you get on !

annfoto
Resident

Re: What should I be planting now? November

Postby annfoto » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:01 pm

It is definitely a good time to plant garlic, potatoes should also work if you earth them up and don't get too much frost.
Peas and broad beans are also still possible sow the seed directly into the ground.
Ann