Madagascar Dragon Tree

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
alicia
Andalucia.com Amigo

Madagascar Dragon Tree

Postby alicia » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:27 pm

Hi

I bought this small plant and it is growing well. Thing is though, when I first got it and re-planted it into another pot, I think I overwatered it as the following day all the leaves were a browny colour a bit like the skin of a very ripe banana. After that, I have just been giving it a little water each evening. But still the leaves are going brown. It is in a bit of a shady spot on a really hot terrace, in fact there is not much shade at all. Can anyone give me any helpful advice. I would like to be a better gardener but things seem to be very hit and miss.

:oops:

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Re: Madagascar Dragon Tree

Postby masterob » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:55 pm

Hi. Google Madagascar Dragon tree and you'll get lots of info - in the UK it's grown as a houseplant. I suspect you over watered it and also it doesn't like full sun (even in the UK) so not much hope if you have it on a hot terrace here.

Don't give up as they are pretty hardy but do move it from the hot terrace. It will probably send up new shoots from the base with tender care.

As to your other question about which plants to grow on a hot terrace, I'd go for cacti and/or succulents. They thrive here and are quite cheap to buy. The require minimum watering. Although some of them are not attractive to look at they often produce quite spectacular flowers from time to time.

alicia
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Madagascar Dragon Tree

Postby alicia » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:47 pm

Hi MasterRob

Thanks for the advice. It is much appreciated. I will have a look online ith regard to the Dragon Tree. Yes the terrace is bit of a problem really as the heat limits the choice of plants. I was hoping really for a variety of plants not just succulents but I think you may be right.

Thanks anyway Rob for taking the time to help.

:)