where did the fruit go?

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
Allan.L
Andalucia.com Amigo

where did the fruit go?

Postby Allan.L » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:27 pm

Last August I planted three fruit trees.orange,lemon and mandarin.They had fruit on at the time which we took off. I added them to my watering system for a daily drink.When we visited in April they all had flowers on.When we visited this month the mandarin had fruit but the other two had absolutely nothing.The trees look healthy so whats happened? Is this normal in the first year and if so why did the mandarin fruit? :?
Allan

annfoto
Resident

Re: where did the fruit go?

Postby annfoto » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:35 pm

If the trees were stressed then they may have dropped their blossom or aborted immature fruit.
They may not be self-pollinating varieties
Citrus trees really do not like their feet wet. It would perhaps be better for them to get a good soaking once a week to encourage the roots to go deep down into the soil.
Ann

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:09 am

Another problem this year, depending where you are, was that the fruit didnt set. This was because of some cold wet weather that came when the blossom was out and there were no bees around to pollinate.
Hardworking resident !!

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:33 am

Dreadful lack of oranges here, we have 7 trees just one has oranges on, it flowered later than the others. Our neighbours have loads of trees, hardly any fruit :thumbdown: will be buying oranges this winter, that will hurt!