When to spray for weeds - help please

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
jukim
Resident

When to spray for weeds - help please

Postby jukim » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:33 am

Can anyone tell me if now is the time to spray for weeds as well as spring... after the rains there's an abundance here in the campo but strangely I haven't seen anyone else spraying... should I do them now? Thanks.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Re: When to spray for weeds - help please

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:04 pm

I have been wondering that myself - Roundup instructions are to not spray just after rain or if rain is expected, so in the current unpredictable weather pattern perhaps this is the answer as to why there are no men in white plastic suits about!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:08 pm

I spray my weeds all year round. Takes about a week in summer and 3 weeks in winter to die. Make sure they are dry when you spray and no rain for an hour afterwards. I use Touchdown.

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:19 pm

If you're using a glyphosate based weekiller (like RoundUp), the rain stuff is as others say, but it's also most important to spray when the weed/plant is growing strongly......so now is good.
nil illegitimum carborundum

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:30 pm

Any time - when its dry.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:00 pm

Hi,
From a pro..........haybaler101
"Glyphosates should be sprayed only on dry vegetation or as the dew is drying. They also need sunlight to translocate through the plant and the product needs to dry on the leaves. So spraying glyphosates in the evening with dew and darkness coming or pushing in front of a rain is a waste of time"

I normally spray 10:00 - 14:00 in still conditions.........sunny days.......... :)
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

jukim
Resident

Postby jukim » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:28 pm

Thanks guys, duly sprayed. In fact the area that needed spraying is not technically our land, it's the damn neighbour who lives in Germany, never comes over and just leaves it to go to rack and ruin so we end up looking after it :crazy:

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:02 pm

jukim wrote:Thanks guys, duly sprayed. In fact the area that needed spraying is not technically our land, it's the damn neighbour who lives in Germany, never comes over and just leaves it to go to rack and ruin so we end up looking after it :crazy:
As it's the neighbours ,Get hold of some of the tannalising fluid they use for pressure treating timber . It is like 'Agent Orange ' that they used in Vietnam ! :lol:
Father-in-law gave me some years ago when we lived next door to two flats , neither of whom were interested in the garden & the weeds grew to over 2m high. Just said " gloves ,mask, respirator ; 1 Litre to 25 Litres of water & don't spray into the wind " .I went along spraying it over next doors garden, got about halfway down & happened to look back & :shock: :wtf: there wasn't anything there. It looked like a combine had been through. When I sprayed it & watched, it literally curled up , shriveled ,& shrank back into the ground. Frightening . Nothing grew there for months ! :lol:
I thought someone from next door would say something but nothing was ever said.
Todos somos Lorca.

Footprint
Resident

Postby Footprint » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:18 pm

:lol: :clap:
You can spend, minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened - or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:08 am

In the past years I have sprayed weeds (mostly fully grown) with Glysophato 35% but only during dry conditions and at least 4 days before any forecast rain. I was using it at a ration of 15 to 1.

The instructions for use on the reverse of the 5 litre container is in Spanish and refers to usage on hectares. Our local Spanish farmer says he uses the same product at a ratio 60litres-90litres to 1litre, (spray the leaves) but still advises using it at least 2 days before any rainfall is due.

Recently after three days of rain a lawn of weeds appeared in our field I used the weedkiller at the ratio our neighbour suggested using a 25 litre backpack pump sprayer. Amazingly it has suppressed their growth and they have died back.

Be patient! Initially it'll look like the weedkiller hasn't worked but after a couple of weeks they will shrivel and die.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:34 pm

Here we spray in November.

You are right about bottles only giving quantities per hectare.

For a 16 litre back pack sprayer, I would use a mix of Touchdown 200 to 250 ml and 200 of Oxyflourin. Make sure you use protective gear too. Obviously, it only kills weeds that are actively growing. You may have to revisit in a months time and again in Spring after seeds have germinated.