Lemon trees but no fruit

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
USINSPAIN
Resident

Lemon trees but no fruit

Postby USINSPAIN » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:29 pm

I have 2 trees one 10 year old the other 4 year old but I only get an odd lemon every now and then what do I do to improve the amount of fruit on them

ebbnflow
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Lemon trees but no fruit

Postby ebbnflow » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:24 pm

Firstly they like water and plenty of it. If you do not have them irrigated think about doing so.

Secondly, do you prune them? All unnecessary branches, especially vertical ones should be removed. The best fruit comes from the more horizontal branches. The tree must also be kept "open", i.e. the sun gets through to all remaining branches and passes through. If the tree completely shadows the ground below it needs more opening up.

A basic prune should be done every year, with a harder one, encouraging new branch growth and removing much older ones, every two or three years, depending on the growth rate of your particular trees. Timing is important too, obviously don't prune when the tree has buds, flowers or fruit.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:46 pm

you need to give citrus plenty of iron in the soil ... try watering in some 'chelate de iro' chelated iron twice a year. This is especially essential if your on limey soil ...

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:42 pm

We have two lemon trees of different varieties ... one produces lemons in abundance (except for last year when I think there was a frost-followed-by-rain problem at flowing time). The other one very rarely produces fruit but when it does they are huge and excellent and sweet. I have been told that there is a bud-mite which attacks the fruit just after they have formed and they drop off because of the bud mite. Some varieties are apparently more susceptible than others ... :crazy: If you manage to spray at just the right moment between flowing, setting, and bud-drop, you can keep the mites off :thumbup: - and the thing to spray with is a mix of olive oil, washing-up liquid with a bit of water - all mixed in the blender, and then diluted x 40 times - spray all over the plant so that the oil keeps the bugs off and the washing-up liquid makes the outside of the plant unpalatable too. Also keeps down scale bugs, white fly, leaf miners etc etc .... :D
So our second tree is flowering vigorously at present and I am squirting regularly - this mix does not affect the bees so polinisation should go ahead successfully.
Cheers :thumbup:

Mariacristina
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mariacristina » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:59 pm

The mixture that gasman has specified is very effective. I have found it is even more effective against garden nasties if the olive oil is infused with garlic. I keep a jam jar of oil with half a dozen cloves of garlic in it with my gardening gear so I always have some ready. It doesn't put the bees off and none of the local bee-keepers have reported any incidences of garlic flavoured honey.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:34 pm

Our neighbour has a lemon tree, one side has sour lemons the other side sweet lemons. A sweet lemon is strange :lolno:
Thanks for the spraying tip :thumbup:

USINSPAIN
Resident

Postby USINSPAIN » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:53 pm

Just a message to tell you all thanks for advice as I sit here my lemon tree is full of fruit.
Vodka & coke tastes great

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:13 pm

Vodka with coke :shock: you Phillistine :wink:

Buffy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Buffy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:51 pm

Tonic surely! :shock:

Lyric