compost heaps

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
gina59
Resident

compost heaps

Postby gina59 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:21 pm

I would like to have a compost heap, but with temperatures reaching high 30's here in the summer I am concerned about the possibility of it catching alight. Should I be concerned?
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: compost heaps

Postby gerryh » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:38 pm

The temperature inside a compost heat might reach that temperature naturally.
As the vegetation rots it's gives off heat.
So, not a problem here in Spain.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

gina59
Resident

Postby gina59 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:49 pm

Thanks Gerry, I just didnt want to start some dreadful campo fire. :thumbup: :thumbup:
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:50 pm

You wont have a problem with your compost over heating out here., well not in a normal domestic compost heap. I have 3 - the main one is made from 4 euro pallets. The others are plastic. The biggest problem is they don't get 'going' because they dry out. You will need irrigation on the heap to be in with a chance

gina59
Resident

Postby gina59 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:11 pm

Thanks Martin, that explains why the place close to me who sells humus has water running over it, I thought that was to prevent it catching alight :)

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Thu May 07, 2015 5:38 pm

The compost won't work without lots of water anyway, you need to pour plenty of water in it for the composting process to take place. Add woodchips to bind the water.

Floriana
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Floriana » Thu May 14, 2015 6:41 pm

I snaffled one of those huge rubber (plastic) black planters that our local garden centre abandoned at the community bins. Drilled extra drainage holes and sited it on earth patch at rear of shed. I made a lid with a piece of tin which is held down by bricks. All the stuff that goes in is moist to begin with and I do give it a good old soak in summer from time to time with the hose. Once a year I take off the top layer which is still to decompose and then decant the made compost into black lidded dustbins ready for use. Leave some compost with the worms in the maker and return the top layer and keep adding. Its nice and tidy and no rats can get in - although geckos enjoy the fruit waste! I don't know if it was necessary but I did add a small tub of brandling worms, purchased from a fishing store in the UK to start it all off. If you let it dry out, worms will disappear/die.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Mon May 18, 2015 3:01 pm

This explains why our compost has never been good- I did not realise it should be kept damp, we have a large plastic tub with the bottom cut off, a plastic lid. I had thought the condensation would be enough. Tonight I will pour a bucket of water in there and hope it works.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Thu May 21, 2015 11:52 am

You'll need a bucket of water - A DAY ......