Yellow Shrubs in Alginarejo A4154

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
AndyLucyOne
Andalucia.com Amigo

Yellow Shrubs in Alginarejo A4154

Postby AndyLucyOne » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:55 pm

At the beginning of March, I was driving north skirting round the edge of Algarinejo on the A4154 when I saw a (civic?) planting of half a dozen or so shrubs (on the left hand side) which were absolutely smothered and dripping in bright yellow flowers, making a magnificent and really beautiful show (recommended for everyone, and "well done and many thanks" to whoever it was who planned and planted them). Unfortunately, I could not stop to find out more.

Has anyone seen these shrubs, and does anyone know what they are ?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Yellow Shrubs in Alginarejo A4154

Postby katy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:01 pm

Sounds like Mimosa. Had some at the bottom of our garden in Marbella and the surrounding hills were covered with them at this time of year.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:50 pm

Mimosa which you also see in abundance behind Cannes in France, small yellow balls in multiple big clusters, with fine feathery leaves - related to the "sensitive" plant who has the same leave type.
A version of the Eucalyptus, which is also often called Mimosa, which has leaves more like a eucalyptus, long and thin, and the flowers, larger balls this time, are clustered along the stems, which droop with the weight - Might have been these? We have a lot on the sides of the motorway down here in Huelva and they are very impressive at present!
Also varieties of broom are out at present, the early very pale almost white is nearly finished, but the shrubby bright yellow covered with blooms are out now. The mediterranean larger flowered broom will be along later - big flowers but not tightly packed.

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:18 pm

Algarinejo is our neck of the woods!

My wife thinks it may be Yellow Jasmine, this shrub flowers from January onwards. Do you have a photo?

terry

gpjohnnymac

Postby gpjohnnymac » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:15 pm

if you haven't figured it out yet, my bet would be Broom, or as we used to all it, Scotch broom..all up the road from Loja to Ventorros de SJ you can find it, or you could before they started the road works.

AndyLucyOne
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AndyLucyOne » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:36 pm

Do you know what those road works between Loja and VdeSJ are trying to achieve ? ... are they for some sort of drainage, for example, or are they going to straighten the road ?

Regarding the yellow shrubs, from the replies (many thanks!) and from obsessive googling they are most likely either Mimosa or Broom. I've invested in some seeds of each, so give me 10 years or so and I should be able to give a definitive answer !

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:20 pm

I will try and give you the low dowb on the road between Loja and Ventorros de San Jose.

First thing to know is it is a major trunk road and carries lots of heavy lorries between Loja and Priego. It is so narrow and twisty that inevitably there are accidents on the blind corners.

Next thing to know is that the road was never designed to carry heavy traffic and over the years has suffered from subsidence following heavy rainfall. There has never been enough money to do proper repairs so it has just been bodged each few years. ( like the road from Ventorros to Huetor which contains the most hilarious example of road bodging I have ever seen).

A few years back following repeated protest from users, a plan was created to fix the road for the next ten years. A bid was put in for EU money and it went out to tender. The winning company started work last year and proudly proclaimed the price of the job including the EU money on signs. The job was to straighten it in parts, make it safer and apparently reduce the jorney time by five minutes. 5 million.

So far so good. What happened next is conjecture. Basically it ran out of money and needs three million more of someones money. ARMCO barriers were quickly and stupidly ( in peoples views) erected On the sections they had worked on to prevent people going off the road and claiming. The existing none worked on dangerous sections were left untouched with ARMCO. Draw from that what you will. In places it is so narrow two tractors and trailers cannot now pass. In fact one section has a priority going up as it is so narrow. The warning sign has been badly placed and in any case is ignored and is thus an accident waiting to happen.

These last few days, surveyors have recommenced work so it looks as though the extra three million needed has been found! Maybe out of the 72 billion...

There is more but that will suffice for now.....

AndyLucyOne
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AndyLucyOne » Thu May 06, 2021 3:02 pm

Well, I'm stuck in the UK, yearning to be back in Andalucia, and driven to the desparation of searching Youtube for any new scenic videos and even "driving" the roads in Google Street View and zooming in from Google Earth to see if the satellite views have been updated !!

I've retraced my route past Algarinejo so many times in Google Maps and "changed the seasons" where possible. I've concluded that the beautiful display I saw was a line of Mimosa trees (Acacia Dealbata or similar ?) planted in the margin between Calle Real and the A4154, just before the latter turns north and wends away from Alginarejo:
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.3274609 ... 312!8i6656

Calle Real dips down as the A4154 climbs, so some of what are mature trees seem merely to be large shrubs from the A4154. It is the only place I can think it could be, but I cant find any pictures of the blooming season in its full glory.

Ahhh! My chest is heavy, my breaths are laboured - but its not from Covid - its heartache at not being able to be there.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu May 06, 2021 3:39 pm

Hi AndyLucyOne,

The banks are covered in both small and large flowered broom at the moment. Looks reallynice. The older guys still collect a handful of the larger flowered broom to take home for-their loved ones. Makes a nice broom for her to complete the endless task of cleaning dust away.

The money has been found to continue the road works. Currently four sets of lights for single line working with up to 11 minutes wait at two of them. Another years work unless they run out of money again.

Did you eat at the 5star restaurant in Algarinejo? Their ten plus courses for 40 euros a head is a real joy.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon May 17, 2021 7:06 am

Yellow flowering shrubs that are drought tolerant and grow in poor soil can be any one of the broom genus: Cytisus (Broom) or Genista (Whin) and are common and so is the deliciously fragrant Retama Sphaerocarpa (Retama) but could also be the lower growing Halimium Commutatum (Rockrose) although they only grow in profusion over 1,000m.

See if you can identify the bushes from this page:
https://www.walkingextremadura.com/flowers.html

Mimosas start small, obviously, but grow into trees.