Grass eaten by caterpillars

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
Davidbid
Tourist

Grass eaten by caterpillars

Postby Davidbid » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:30 pm

Hi experts - I have a house in Estepona and try to have a more English type lawn.
For the last 3 years my grass has suffered by being eaten by caterpillars from about August. In America they seem to call them "Fall worms" or " Army Fall Worms".
Dursban was the recommended insecticide to kill them but it is not available any more.
What is the best available product and procedure to kill them?

marios
Resident

Re: Grass eaten by caterpillars

Postby marios » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:56 pm

Can you post a photo of your grass, what has happened to it?, I'm getting a lot of worms in my pool and may have the same problem, my grass has gone brown but I thought I had over fertilized it.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:56 pm

Davidbid
Tourist

Postby Davidbid » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:33 pm

hi Marios
The first year I had the caterpillars, they were swarming into the pool and committing suicide seemingly by the hundred or thousands!
My gardener didn't know what they were either for a long time - he thought they were breeding in there. I dont think I can get any meaningful pictures of the grass because I have been reseeding but it certainly sounds the same.
This year I returned from a 2 month absence at the start of September and the grass was green - however inside 2 weeks most of it had been eaten. The insecticide supplied by my gardener didnt seem to work and now we are on a different one.
To see if the caterpillars are in the grass - this is what you do. It can seem a bit scary!!
Put a couple of gallons ( 10-11 litres) of water in a bucket and mix in a good squeeze of washing up liquid. Stir gently but do not make a froth.
Pour the water over an area 30" across ( about 75cm diameter)of grass where it is going from brown to green. Be prepared to see caterpillars (worms) escaping from the ground- they don't like the soap!
You can do this in several places to see the extent of the problem.
Then we need to find a GOOD insecticide that will promptly kill the little *******s

marios
Resident

Postby marios » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:38 pm

Yes I did that test but nothing came up, maybe I didn't put enough soap in, I do think though I over ferertilized as it pretty uniform.

Davidbid
Tourist

Postby Davidbid » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:49 pm

Hi Sid
Thanks for the link. I have read it but didn;t really understand what it was saying in relation to killing the caterpillars. Unless I missed the point.

Davidbid
Tourist

Postby Davidbid » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:50 pm

Hi Marios
Are they worms or caterpillars? Mine are caterpillars

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:01 pm

Davidbid wrote:Hi Sid
Thanks for the link. I have read it but didn;t really understand what it was saying in relation to killing the caterpillars. Unless I missed the point.
It kills caterpillars! The bacteria gets into their guts and they explode. It’s readily available as it is not toxic unless you are a caterpillar.

It very useful on edible plants as it doesn’t make them poisonous.

You can buy “banned” insecticides without an operators licence if you know where to go. I use Chlorpirifos which kills most bugs including the nasty ones like cockroaches. I bought a litre some years ago and still have plenty left.

Sid

marios
Resident

Postby marios » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:21 pm

Definitely caterpillars.

Davidbid
Tourist

Postby Davidbid » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:37 pm

Thanks Sid
It looked so technical to start with but now I see that if I search for Bacillus thuringiensis in ebay there are are lots of products. Will have to check the local garden centre.
Marios.... looks like this is what we both need.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:28 pm

Dont go to leroy merlin and ask for it.. It needs to be a small town ferreteria / garden type shop.

My local one allowed me to buy 15L of the stuff that you shouldnt be able to buy without a licence. I offered the company CIF number etc but he wasnt interested, he just wanted 'cash, no reciept' ...

And we wonder why spains economy is in the *beep*.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.