Harvesting green olives

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
ashtondav
Resident

Harvesting green olives

Postby ashtondav » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:57 pm

I know that black olives are harvested November December, but when are green olives harvested? They seem to be green for a long time. I only have a couple of trees and would like to have a go at preserving them.

Trooperman
Resident

Re: Harvesting green olives

Postby Trooperman » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:04 pm

All "our" olives, that is to say those in the surrounding groves, are green and they've been going at it since the 1st October. They're still at it in some groves which supports the argument that there are various varieties. Indeed, one local producer, sells bottles of single variety oil. That's just north of Antequera.
nil illegitimum carborundum

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:23 pm

There are maybe 200 varieties of olives. They mature at different times. Our Picauls and Hoji Blancas are ready for harvesting for oil in February for example.

Ask a local olive farmer for advice on harvesting. He/she might even bring you a bucket of a different variety of green olives to try. Good luck!

jhonie99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jhonie99 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:23 am

ashtondav wrote:I know that black olives are harvested November December, but when are green olives harvested? They seem to be green for a long time. I only have a couple of trees and would like to have a go at preserving them.
Believe it or not, it's obvious when to pick them.

Firstly, forget about choosing a date; Here in my part of the world (canarias), I start picking in August for instance. Just look at the olives on a regular basis.
When they loose their "sheen", pick them. Olive start off bright green and maybe even shiny. When the colour goes to a dull green, pick em.

Other factors come into play also. When it's obvious that they're getting disfigured/attacked it usually means that they're ripening.
Also, once a few start to turn black, you know it's time.

In any case, if u pick too early, brining will sort them out.

We have 4 different varieties of olive, all ripening at different periods.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:31 pm

Thanks. We're usually out September to November so i'll get brining next year!