Palm Weevils

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
brianjackson
Andalucia.com Amigo

Palm Weevils

Postby brianjackson » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:40 pm

Does anyone have any information as to how to prevent the Palm Weevils from killing a palm ?

I see there were posts going back to 2014, but the chemicals recommended do net seem to be available any more.

Any advice will be most welcome.

Thank you.
I hope for nothing - I fear nothing - I am free.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Palm Weevils

Postby country boy » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:12 pm

I use Nuprid 200SL on my Pheonix Canariensis ( I have 75 on my Finca). I drench them 4 times a year). The active ingredient is IMIDACLOPRID and I buy it from my Agricultural Merchant where I am a registered user. There is no problem at the present time in supply.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:55 pm

If you are a registered user and have the certificate to that effect, you can buy it. Whether you can buy it without a certificate depends on the seller. I managed recently to buy a 5 litre can af Glyphosphate weedkiller (similarly controlled) without any questions being asked.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:26 pm

Do the weevils affect all types of palms? We have Washingtonias ( I think).

How do you know you have a problem and how do the weevils arrive please?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:22 pm

When the palm fronds die it’s probably too late. Prevention is key. They fly quite some distance. It normally only affects the Canary palms.

Sid

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:56 am

I have lost several types of palm and yuccas to the beast's.
Gerry

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:50 am

The dont 'normally' go for yuccas, and as Cid says, its normally canary palms that get it, but i have seen washingtonias showing signs.. Some very high ones that we needed a 3 piece ladder and extension pole to reach.

In my previous life as a gardener/handyman/electrician, we used to buy little blue pellets that mixed with water. 250g of pellets was enough for 100L of water or so, it was really strong stuff. Dursban? Comes to mind. As far as im aware, it was one of the ones that became controlled.

You can still buy it .. If you know a friendly cash in hand supplier. Be careful with the stuff tho, its not nice.

The problem is the application, it needs to go in the top of the tree, from above - up where the 'branches' are.

If a tree dies - all its branches fall to its sides - then eventually the tree will fall over.

Removal of said tree is a pain in the bum. The tree itself is so fiborus that it clogs a chainsaw in 1 cut. The sections are super heavy because they are so wet. And when you cut it open.. Oh dear god does it stink!!! You will certainly known when you have a dead one .

This is the weevil that flies to the tree. Looks like a red/brown cockroach, but not the antenae:

Heres the bugs that eat the inside of the tree:

And heres what the tree looks like when its dead:

Shame i didnt get any pics as we were cutting it up, we were nearly throwing up and the home.owners and their neibours all went out !!
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:56 am

Interesting post SL . Thanks.

They sound and look very similar to vine weevils in the Uk. There the larva eat the roots of pot plants.