Citrus trees

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
Rummii
Andalucia.com Amigo

Citrus trees

Postby Rummii » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:54 am

Hi all hope someone can help as I’m getting so frustrated with orange trees.....
I’ve got four or five trees in a particular area of my garden that just keep getting fruit drop and dieback.....
The first few years of being here they were good and I know I had neglected them at first as I didn’t know much about gardening....but this year I thought I had done everything right they had been fertilised about every three months watered had been sprayed fungally and treated if had greenfly etc ......so they looked brilliant then they got leaf miner early in year but bounced back had tons of flowers nice green laves .....then as flowers dropped and fruit was setting the leaves started dropping with branch dieback and fruit loss
I’m so stuck on what to try even tempted to dig up and plant new so was hoping someone has had similar issues and found a simple remedy as its gutting to have these trees and still have to buy oranges as these were so lovely the first few years....
Many thanks

fyfin
Resident

Re: Citrus trees

Postby fyfin » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:34 pm

I wish I could help. When we moved into the villa we had 2 orange trees, a grapefruit tree and a kumquat. All had lots of fruit, then we had to remove them apart from the grapefruit tree (nowhere else to put a shed). I planted a mandarin tree which has been doing really, although last year very few mandarins, this year loads. The grapefruit for the first year was full of fruit but I guess we're doing something wrong as the last 3 years (we've been here 4) there has been 2 or 3 grapefruits only. Maybe, there's a special way or time to prune but whatever it is we're not doing it right lol.
I also planted a little navelina orange tree and because it is young the fruit drops off but hopefully in a couple of years it'll be OK, but, both the grapefruit tree and the navelina are being decimated by leaf miners.
I've tried everything but they're all over the new leaves, I see you got rid of them somehow and I wondered what you did.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:34 pm

Ditto Rummii. I sometimes wonder why we bother watering them as our once lovely orange trees produce nothing now. Not sure if it's just us and that we don't have green fingers, but our mangos and lychee tree are also hopeless. I've had two lychees off the tree in 9 years (and I know they do grow and fruit well here)! Our mango trees are no bigger than when we planted those 9 years ago. Perhaps it's because we don't give them gallons of water every night, but they are watered 4 times a week, but really I am on the point of giving up with the whole lot.

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:53 pm

My orange and grapefruit trees thrive on neglect!
Gerry

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:13 pm

I must admit I don't water and I'm wondering if previously the numerous water leaks were doing the job for us lol.
Maybe now they are apparently fixed I might need to water.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it