Almond trees

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
Mobylette63
Andalucia.com Amigo

Almond trees

Postby Mobylette63 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:40 am

Can anyone recommend someone or somewhere near Malaga/ Antequera for the purchase of trees..olive and almond?..obviously when all this is over

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Almond trees

Postby olive » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:44 am

How many olive trees?

What variety are you going to plant?

What are they for? Commercial, Fill a space or to grow for eating?

Ditto for almonds.

Mobylette63
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mobylette63 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:48 pm

We are just thinking out loud at the moment..we have an area that needs a few trees and thought almonds would make a nice change..would be nice to harvest them also.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:00 pm

Right. If you had wanted 50 plus olives I could have pointed you to a trade outlet near Loja.

There is a good "Garden Centre" in Antequera that sells fruit trees. It is situated opposite Hotel Eslava (on the old road out of the town towards Cordoba). There is another one near the fire station and a third that is(was) open all day. That is again on the old road to Cordoba but this time a bit further. You cross the Granada Seville motorway and it is a couple of km on the left. You will have to ask as the first and third have most of their stock outside. It is worth getting several types just for the fun of different sizes and taste of nuts. They also have olive trees in. You might also consider some pistachios. They do well in semi desert. I think you need a male and several female trees. They would advise at the shop.

Mobylette63
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mobylette63 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:50 pm

Thats great ..thank you for the reply. I assume you can buy different age / size trees too? Do you think the climate around Antequera is suited to pistachios? ...was also thinking of some vines....

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:28 pm

From when i was gardening : (5+ years ago)

Small olive trees that will take 10 years to bear olives can be had from 5 euro each.

A big tree can be € 1000 +
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:36 am

A couple of key things to bear in mind with trees. Firstly have a look at what else people are growing around your place. Bucking the trend is a very British thing - we like a challenge but it is hard work as the climate isn't forgiving. Secondly the availability of water. Water is cheap but not abundant and irrigation can be a faff and a chore.

Bearing those in mind and not knowing where you will be or indeed how high, you cannot go far wrong with olives, almonds, pomegranates, nisperos and vines. One of lifes simple pleasures- picking your own grapes. We scouted around for seedless ones much to the amusement of the Spanish who eat the seeds. The Antequera garden centre near the fire station had seedless grape vines for sale last year. You might also consider a lemon or an orange but once established you get an abundance of fruit - be prepared to give lots away. My advice for those citrus is a sheltered south facing spot. None mentioned in this para need another tree for pollination i.e. they are self fertile I believe.

Regarding pistachios. I lifted this from the internet. "Pistachio trees grow best and produce the most nuts in an arid semi-desert climate with long, dry, hot summers, low humidity and cool but not frigid winters. During the growing season, pistachio trees thrive on heat. Summer temperatures of around 37 degrees Celcius produce large quantities of the best nuts. " That pretty much describes the climate in Antequera which will only get drier and hotter . A neighbour planted four a few years ago on a bit of unused ground. He has lost one but last year had his first crop of ten nuts. He never watered them from planting which maybe explains losing one.

Mobylette63
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mobylette63 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:37 am

Thank you for the reply..The plot has at the moment, Olives, Holmes oak and fig trees. I haven’t noticed any almonds nearby..but its easier to spot them when they are in blossom from a distance. The plot is south facing and has the sandy type soil and did previously have a old lime quarry and kiln I am told so I assume that would effect the soil or give an idea of what soil it has on the plot