?fish for a small pond?

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
gavilan
Andalucia Guru

?fish for a small pond?

Postby gavilan » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:09 pm

it's not actually a pond ... the stream that runs near the boundary of my place has stopped running (local farmers have diverted it to water their new avocado trees) ... so all there is left are 2 largish pools ... I was wondering if I could buy from somewhere a few fish of some kind which would like to live in those pools ... maybe help keep the water fresh ... (small fish have lived there before but seem to have moved downstream) ... ?anyone know what sort of fish to buy and where from?

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Re: ?fish for a small pond?

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:30 am

as a "hardy" colourful "cheap" fish, go for goldfish. they will grow big ish. They can survive in bad quality water too.

pleco´s will live in anything, so if the water is muddy it doesnt matter, they are bottom feeders.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:10 am

thanks for that info s l ... I am aware that I need to consider the implications of introducing a 'foreign' species into the stream ... just feel a bit desperate about what I can do to keep water alive and clean ...

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:25 am

as the water is not flowing, i´d be surprised not to see frogs in there because of the mosquitos?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:34 am

yes there are a few frogs ... I came across a large toad ayer when I was messing about down there ...also used to be crayfish, water snakes, terrapins ... and, as I said earlier, the small fishes have moved themselves a little downstream but are still alive and well ... today I am going to see if I can go further upstream ... might be blocked by fallen trees and canes ... vamos a ver ...