Successfully deterring cats

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
fyfin
Resident

Successfully deterring cats

Postby fyfin » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:49 pm

I'm sure this will be controversial and I apologise if it's been raised before but I wonder has anyone any ideas on how to deter cats from coming in and pooing on the terraces.

I have tried electronic hi frequency gadgets which seemed to work for a while but they don't last or at least the cat(s) eventually seem to ignore them.

I bought a spray last week that cost €12 but again it hasn't stopped the regular pooing which is quite difficult to pick up and I usually have to hose down as well.

The other problem is the smell of the wee which is very strong and outs us off sitting outside.

Any ideas welcome.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Successfully deterring cats

Postby Enrique » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:14 pm

Hi fyfin,

Ratonero Bodeguero Andaluz

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratonero_ ... ro_Andaluz

Will keep you company too.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:46 pm

The high frequency gadgets usually work. I have a friend who has the same problem, he also uses frequency gadget and a high powered water pistol.

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:33 pm

Enrique lol, I have two cat haters, a little terrier of some sort and a galga who wondered off the street a year ago into our house (she was 5 months old or so), but the cats are sneaky buggers and coming in during the night. One particular cat keeps tring during the day and evokes much excitement and beats the first over the wall record every time.
I suppose I gave up too soon on the electronic gadget but I had 4 of them and they all died eventually, blown over in the wind or just failed and wouldn't charge.
I had heard someone mention empty plastic bottles and lemon peel and I was curious if anyone had tried any other weird stuff that worked.

Maybe time to get onto Amazon again.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:05 pm

fyfin wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:33 pm Enrique lol, I have two cat haters, a little terrier of some sort and a galga who wondered off the street a year ago into our house (she was 5 months old or so), but the cats are sneaky buggers and coming in during the night. One particular cat keeps tring during the day and evokes much excitement and beats the first over the wall record every time.
I suppose I gave up too soon on the electronic gadget but I had 4 of them and they all died eventually, blown over in the wind or just failed and wouldn't charge.
I had heard someone mention empty plastic bottles and lemon peel and I was curious if anyone had tried any other weird stuff that worked.

Maybe time to get onto Amazon again.
Could be some truth in the water bottles. In our village people put them next to the tyres when the car is parked. I thought it maybe to stop dogs peeing on the wheels.