hibiscus not well

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
Forest

hibiscus not well

Postby Forest » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:31 pm

Hello All! Newbie here :wave: .....My Hibiscus has started to look quite poorly. I have search the net and asked in my local garden centre but so far still not sure what is the cause...and therefore how to treat it. We have had lots of rain so I don’t think it is lack of water...but I have not fed it so could it be that? But then I am hesitant to put any fertilizer on it as I don’t want to stress it even more! Pics attached FYI....Any help/advice would be appreciated so I don’t loose it. Thanks 
Attachments
IMG_7455.JPG
IMG_7454.JPG
IMG_7453.JPG

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: hibiscus not well

Postby Wicksey » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:21 pm

Ours on the edge of the plot tend to lose their leaves and go brown. I don't think they like the wind and we had a spell of very cold, very windy weather that always make ours look like they're dying. The one in a more sheltered position by the house always looks lush and healthy.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:32 pm

They don't like too much water, the leaves turn yellow. Most of the time they are fairly scruffy shrubs, but the flowers make up for it.

Sid

Forest

Postby Forest » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:58 pm

Thanks both Wicksey & Sid. So you don’t think it is any sort for fungus? I’ve check leaves and they are not powdery. Also checked for insects...cant see anything.
It has always been very healthy and required little attention hence why bit concerned. Do you think it should be cut back to help promote new growth perhaps? Or too late in the season now? Thanks 😊

jhonie99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jhonie99 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:34 am

Clearly, needs to be cut back. It won't recover the way it is. No such thing as a wrong time for pruning.

Forest

Postby Forest » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:49 am

Okay thanks! Will arrange for a cut. Cheers :)

Sampson
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Sampson » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:16 pm

This was a regular problem for me, but the last couple of years I've pruned them back hard in Jan/Feb which does the trick. But I find they're still vulnerable to an aphid attack in April/May time. You have to keep watching almost daily this time of year, it can spread like billyo.

Forest

Postby Forest » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:41 am

Thank you for reply Sampson. Pruning seems they way to go...fingers crossed! :)