Olive farming

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Olive farming

Postby Lavanda » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:18 am

This is not strictly 'Gardens and Gardening' but we don"t have an 'Agriculture' heading:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... -spain-aoe

This is really good news, all round. There has been a huge, and positive, push in Extremadura to encourage farmers to go organic in the vineyards, olive groves and fig plantations. A farm gains organic status after seven years of not using any chemicals but the landscape is already changing with many more insects and bees plus the other wildlife as mentioned in the article, above. The old ways had some point to them and 'progress' when reliant on chemicals, is not always a good idea.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Olive farming

Postby olive » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:59 pm

Subject close to my heart.

Not so sure about not using herbicides, having first hand experience of weeds. Even if you use a hand sickle or strimmer or indeed a group of tyres dragged behind a tractor you still end up with “ stumps” that rip your olive nets.

However year on year we have noticed less and less wildlife except for cabra de la montessa which are doing very well.Hunting season has started and the hunters sweep across the hillsides shooting anything that moves. Then photograph their bag and then bin everything except any partridge or rabbits/ hares.

Lets hope it takes off. On a slight tangent, why havent the countries bordering the Med invested in repopulating the fish stocks? The tech works well for things like lobster, salmon.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:08 pm

I think people are not yet sufficiently engaged with where their food comes from and the quality of what they eat — as long as the supermarkets are well-stocked. We have longostine in our Mercadona that came from Venezuela and still might for all I know. The whole food industry needs a serious rethink ... I won't hold my breath.

Howeer, I liked the article I posted especially as Jaén is known for its olives.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:42 pm

You think that’s bad. Venezuela is not far away. Haddock fillets from Iceland (the store) are caught in the North Atlantic, frozen and shipped to China for filleting and then back to the UK.

Sid

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:23 pm

How is that sensible on any level?

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:41 pm

It's not 'sensible at all. It's just cheaper. Maybe only a few euros per 100kg.. but over 5 million tonnes.. that's a big saving.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:36 pm

El Cid wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:42 pm You think that’s bad. Venezuela is not far away. Haddock fillets from Iceland (the store) are caught in the North Atlantic, frozen and shipped to China for filleting and then back to the UK.

Sid
Wonder how they manage that when people can't get a jar of ointment from UK without tariffs :mrgreen:

Nothing wrong with organic, just don't believe much of it is anywhere in the world whatever they claim.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:08 am

I was in Tarbert Scotland a few weeks ago. Shellfish landed at the little harbour and straight on to Spanish HGVs for the trip to the Mercadona fish counter. Couldn’t find a single fishmonger in the place that sold local shellfish
Last edited by ashtondav on Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flashman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Flashman » Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:18 pm

Interesting, I thought Brexit had bo****ed all the live shellfish exports to EU from UK?