Horse manure

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
Rummii
Andalucia.com Amigo

Horse manure

Postby Rummii » Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:31 pm

Am hoping you guys and girls can put my mind at rest...... a few months ago we got a couple of rescue horses... we live in campo and try and grow our own veg and have struggled with getting good soil so was so happy and eager to get horse manure to improve growth of veggies.... I started a pile of manure and waited a month but then wanted to get manure in to plot and around veggies ....I had sort of hot composted it but learned how to turn it more etc.....I looked on internet and it’s so confusing on timescales from fresh to mature compost....and worrying as you read about pathogens E. coli etc ..... I not sure if I should remove it andwhether I need to throw away veggies ....trying to have the good life but don’t want to make family poorly....
Any thoughts or experiences and advice much appreciated

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Horse manure

Postby Enrique » Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:29 pm

Hi Rummii,

Your time scales are two short..........If it doesn't look like the following.............
Screenshot 2021-10-31 172239.png
Screenshot 2021-10-31 172239.png (186.89 KiB) Viewed 6530 times
I would normally keep at least a year before applying over winter for Spring planting.........these are UK conditions, Spain my be a bit faster :?:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.