Cactus/cacti in garden

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
BunnyAndBear
Tourist

Cactus/cacti in garden

Postby BunnyAndBear » Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:33 am

Hi!
Browsing property ads. In some gardens there's a cactus or a whole flower bed full of them, sometimes big ones, different species. Is there any reason why people plant them in their gardens? Or do they just grow there on their own and people navigate around them? I'm not a fan of them at all. They don't look that great and they have nasty needles, especially not good for children and pets.
Question: if I do get a house full of cacti, is it ok to get rid of them, would a gardening service do it, how much appr. could it cost?
Thanks!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Cactus/cacti in garden

Postby gerryh » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:25 am

BunnyAndBear wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:33 am Hi!
Is there any reason why people plant them in their gardens?
...especially not good for children and pets.
Thanks!
The reason we have them is that they don't need much water :thumbup:
Most flowering plants need watering in the hot weather, cacti can survive for extended periods without water.
Also do not need pruning, deadheading or much other maintenance.
Our dogs and cats don't have a problem with them.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:00 am

We inherited a group of large cacti and I advertised them on our local newsletter "free to collect" and was inundated with callers. Someone came with a trailer, dug them up and took them away as they were making a cactus garden. We have a lot of succulents in our garden as you don't want thirsty plants in this climate.

BunnyAndBear
Tourist

Postby BunnyAndBear » Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:25 am

Thanks, Gerry and Wicksey, so cacti are not a problem. Yes, I would rather have other succulents than cacti, the kind without needles.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:10 pm

I know most garden centres have succulent and cacti sections but are there any which specialize in them or have very large sections of them. Nerja Velez area? I am sick and tired of getting one or two €300 water bills when wild boar damage pipes.

BunnyAndBear
Tourist

Postby BunnyAndBear » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:34 am

ashtondav wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:10 pm ... I am sick and tired of getting one or two €300 water bills when wild boar damage pipes.
Wild boar damage water pipes? OMG! :shock: We have wild boar in Latvia too but they "only" dig up potatoes. Please tell more: what material pipes? Free or underground? Can you close the water off? Do they dig for something else and water pipes are accidents or they want the water to drink and swim?

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:36 am

Accident I think rooting around for moisture.

Noah04
Tourist

Postby Noah04 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:14 pm

Can any type of outdoor garden cactus survive indoors within a limited space of a pot? And do the surviving parameters differ for both outdoor and indoor cactus?

Noah04
Tourist

Postby Noah04 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:37 am

Got the answer to my question from my guide who helps me to write any paper. Yes, it is possible to grow outdoor cactus indoors, but it will require at least 5 to 6 hours of direct sunlight - lesser hours for the mini-cacti and more for the big ones. And we have to make sure that the soil is completely dry, before watering it. And finally, there should be a drainage point at the bottom of the pot.

Noah04
Tourist

Postby Noah04 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:37 am

Got the answer to my question from my guide who helps me to write any paper. Yes, it is possible to grow outdoor cactus indoors, but it will require at least 5 to 6 hours of direct sunlight - lesser hours for the mini-cacti and more for the big ones. And we have to make sure that the soil is completely dry, before watering it. And finally, there should be a drainage point at the bottom of the pot.

Noah04
Tourist

Postby Noah04 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:39 am

Please ignore the double post.