Does greater bandwidth give coverage further from router?

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Re: Does greater bandwidth give coverage further from router?

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:19 pm

Enrique wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:48 pm Hi Peter,
The way forward...........

Make a list of all your Apps/programs that you currently use, unless you have bought a License for any, they can be downloaded for free
Will do
Buy a 2TB external USB3 disk....... Either Seagate or Toshiba
Download Macrium Reflect Free ..........make two Image backups to the external disk.
As you're keeping the old Laptop that gives you three copies.
done[color]
Buy new Laptop
there is a bewildering range on offer at all sorts of prices - any recommendations - W10 in English & UK keyboard?

I'm betting you don't have copies of your Digital Signature........sitting on a 10 year old Laptop........disk fail comes to mind. :evil:
lost your bet - I have found it lol
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:49 pm

Hi peteroldracer,

New laptop.........write down your current usage........like do you store music ,photos etc as modern laptops seem to have gone over to SSD's/Cloud so don't have room to store large collections locally and would need an external drive.

"there is a bewildering range on offer at all sorts of prices - any recommendations - W10 in English & UK keyboard?"

Go for a Branded one Dell.... Acer.......... HP........ don't skimp on memory.... min 6 -8 GB

You can have fun on the Dell site doing a mix and match......Intel and Amd CPU's are on a par....... I have always used Intel on my builds.
NVIDIA Graphics, screen size , dual Band NIC to take advantage of your new super speedy Internet.

A nice fun project for you to get your teeth into..............
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:45 pm

I just want a well-built laptop, no gaming, no music, not too small a screen and one that does not grind to a near halt with 100% CPU usage for System Interrupts!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:37 pm

Hi Peter,
If you have a budget limit .....then Google laptops at £XXX and see what comes up.

If you can stretch it a bit (budget) Google Mid range laptops......stuff like........ HP Pavilion 15-eh0511sa 15.6" Laptop - AMD Ryzen 5, 512 GB comes up.

Pick a couple that you fancy and either Post on here or PM me for comment...........once I see what you're looking at we can see if similar for better price/ spec.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:49 am

Enrique wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:37 pm Pick a couple that you fancy and either Post on here or PM me for comment...........once I see what you're looking at we can see if similar for better price/ spec.
PM'd t'other day amigo..

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:44 pm

Hi peteroldracer,

Not had any communication (PM) from you since 22-Feb when this thread kicked off.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:58 pm

Don’t know where that went....not in sent or saved.
I like the look of that HP, but cannot tell if the W10 can be changed to English..as this Dell has served me well I was leaning toward one of them, but all the keyboards and Windows seem to be in Spanish, unless I go for a professional version, which puts €1000 on the price!
I should have bought one last year in the UK of course, but the import costs & duty rule that out now . Even if we manage to get across I would get robbed on bringing it back.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:22 pm

Peter, do you really need a laptop? Unless you need the portability, the current crop of “all in ones” are pretty good. Dell do a very nice one and HP also. W10 can easily be changed to English, unlike earlier versions. The Spanish keyboard is not difficult to use once your remember that the @ and Euro signs are in a different place. If you don’t like it buy a cheap UK wireless keyboard.

Sid

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:37 pm

Sid - I feel that the portability is important, as we intend spending close to half-and-half Spain & UK when this is possible. We have a nice static caravan as a UK base, with good broadband, printer etc, and it was helpful when the hacienda called us in to sort out a crown pension disagreement - we got the email whilst in Yorkshire and the access to all our data helped avoid a fine for not attending within their time limit. We intend doing a Miro if we can sell our home here. Many of the dealers say W10 Home espanol, and teclado espanol, with a "professional" option W10 classed as "International - at a feindish price hike so it seems that not every W10 can change.
I would rather switch to a Spanish keyboard from my taskbar if needed or use the Alt codes - perhaps I am too British! We have iPads for things that don't need a lot of typing.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:47 pm

El Cid wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:41 pm That is by far and away the best bet. I have tried almost all combinations and the best by far is a cable. Peter, your RE350 has an ethernet port on it. If you plug your cable into it, it turns it into a wireless access point. I have run a cable from my router to two points in the house and attached a RE450 in each location.
Sid
Recently I realised that the previous ISP used ethernet cable from a Wimax dish, and the RJ45 connector sits at the right place to plug in to the router. I need to put a RJ45 connector on the end of the cable on the top floor, but reading up on it do I wire this up as a crossover or as a straight-through? I have the tool and some RJ45 plugs.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:35 pm

A normal straight through cable. The software for the TP-Link makes it very easy to reconfigure it from an extender to an access point.

Sid

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:29 pm

Thanks Sid. I may use the RE350 instead of a router. If the signal is good on the top floor I may not need it as an extender on the first floor, where it just needs to link to our ipads in the bedroom, and a printer in a back bedroom. The cable is Cat 4, which does help to explain poor performance with the old Wimax system, I shall have see if it good enough for purpose without replacing it with Cat6 or 7, as this would mean removing a large wardrobe hiding the entry point into the house trunking!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:34 pm

Hi peteroldracer,

You need to bite the bullet and get the cable replaced with Cat6.......... Cat4 is way under spec for Gigabit ......... :(

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_4_cable

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:12 pm

Think I must have misread all the characters on the cable - it looks like it could be a Cat5. Have put the RJ45 connector on and now get (using this laptop) 90Mbps down & Upload readings. The Wifi up there using powerpoint extender is more like 15-18 Mbps so a considerable improvement. Next step will be to try the old router or RE350 as an access point up there - probably better with the router as I can then pop in a patch lead to the tv, better than using wifi.
Getting no further with the laptop though, as both the HP and Dell Spanish sites make it impossible to ask if they can supply one with an English keyboard! The Spanish ones look excessively complex compared to a UK/USA one. It is my fault for not buying pre-(BR)exit, making it uneconomic to get one shipped from the UK...

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:03 pm

You can change the keyboard to British but you need to remember what each key does.
I tend to use UK ones more at home but Spanish at work and to be quite honest there isn’t much difference The @ is the most awkward.

My main work PC using Windows 7 and to be quite honest I can’t even remember if it is in English or Spanish.I just use it.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:39 pm

I am trying to get onto amazon.de & see what they offer - would not get Prime service but would avoid import taxes etc.