Starlink

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Evaready
Andalucia.com Amigo

Starlink

Postby Evaready » Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:31 am

Does anyone have a Starlink system and what do they think of it? Our Eurona satellite system is pretty useless with a very bad latency, plus the DNS cannot be changed. We are due to get fibre optic soon, but they have been saying that for some months now. Starlink looks a reasonable price and as long as I can change the DNS to watch UK TV (which I think I can) it should work well, but I am keen to hear from anyone who has already got it/tried it. Thanks in advance

Evaready

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: Starlink

Postby markwilding » Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:56 am

I don't know Starlink but my ISP router doesn't allow me to input my own DNS servers either and there's a chance that the fibre optic router won't be able to as well, If there are ethernet outlets on your router, the solution is to connect it with a cable to a second router which permits changes. TP-link is the router I used before and now due to the fact I want to extend the WiFi signal, I use a mesh system which also allows me to input new DNS servers.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:03 pm

I have Hispasat and agree the latency is pretty big! However streaming tv is fine.

You must have a different router. Ours is a Hughes and gives far better Wifi signal than any of the 4G routers we have had. Plus you can very easily configure DNS.

Funnily enough, I have a friend in rural Lincolnshire who has just tried Starlink and given up and gone back for now to 4G

Starlink uses different tech and should have a lower latency.

The joys of rural life!

Evaready
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Evaready » Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:24 pm

Thanks for the input. The Hughes router is sort of OK and generally OK for TV, except when it is not and for working online it is a real pain. We have 4G routers as well, but Movistar is playing silly buggers at the moment- off for days or weeks at a time and Orange isn't much better. Incidentally, my sister has fibra otica and I have managed to change the DNS with no issues at all using SmartDNSProxy. Anyway, may try starlink anyway and it has a 30 day return policy so if it doesn't work it will be going back! Thanks again

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:49 pm

Please let us know how you got on.