Smart DNS Proxy

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
snorbs
Andalucia.com Amigo

Smart DNS Proxy

Postby snorbs » Fri Jun 14, 2024 4:14 am

I notice in the last number of months this service is having more issues.
At the moment for UK apps on fire stick BBC and C5 working but ITV and C4 wont load.
I see others in this forum with C4 and C5 issues but not ITV?
Anyone else got the same problem?

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Smart DNS Proxy

Postby Wicksey » Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:52 am

They fixed the CH4 and CH5 problems on Wednesday and they have been back to normal. It did take a couple of days after some 'essential maintenance'. No problems with Ch4 or ITV for me at the moment. I find they are very quick to respond if you email them.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Jun 14, 2024 1:15 pm

The general consensus is that SmartDNS offers the best service albeit, there can occasionally be issues. Over the last 25 years or so there has been an evolution in tele watching from nothing, then being able to watch Spanish TV channels in English. going on to satellite TV and finally what we have now, TV through streaming with the proviso of good internet speeds.
There will always be technical problems and cat and mouse games between the VPN/DNS companies and the broadcasters but at least it is possible to get a decent service here in Spain. We just have to accept it is never going to be perfect or as good as it it is back in the UK.

snorbs
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby snorbs » Fri Jun 14, 2024 5:26 pm

I agree the service is fine, was merely trying to find out if ITV and c4 apps were not working for others. The issue persists for me so will raise a ticket.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jun 14, 2024 5:44 pm

No, I cant get them either. BBC and C5 are OK. I use the Swill DNS server.I have emailed support.

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:12 pm

Watching footie on ITV at the moment OK and it worked this morning when I tried.

I'm having strange problems with BBC although nothing to do with the DNS as it loads and plays fine on my laptop. BBC app won't load at all on Firestick and (new) TV although it was fine yesterday. Just doing an update on Firestick and will clear cache to see if that helps.

Edit: I've updated Firestick, cleared the cache and still nothing. Uninstalled from TV and reinstalled and still nothing. Very odd :think:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jun 14, 2024 9:46 pm

I rarely have any problems with Smartydns but when I do it is always very complicated and impossible to understand what is going on. I fully understand how a VPN works but I haven’t got the slightest idea how a Smart DNS works. All I know is that when there is a problem it can be impossible to work out what is going wrong. All Internet connections require a DNS but if the DNS you are using is playing up, it’s not just the UK TV that’s affected, it’s all or some of your Internet connections.

If you think your Internet connection is affected just switch back to Auto on your connection and it will use the standard DNS that your provider uses. If in doubt use the Google server which is 8.8.8.8 At least you can get back on the Internet that way.
The good thing about Smarty is that they usually manage to sort it out.

Sid

snorbs
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby snorbs » Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:34 am

Thanks Sid for confirming you have same issue, is it worth changing to a different server location?

Sub-Tech Steve
Tourist

Postby Sub-Tech Steve » Tue Jun 18, 2024 12:25 pm

hello, are any of you still having this problem?

i have had the same issue since friday and have found their 'support' useless.

i was told today it was 'fixed' but it is not!

i am a retired i.t. tech and it is clear the support staff are using techniques to 'get rid of the user for a while' - asking for info that has no bearing on the problem. they even suggested my pc was configured incorrectly - i asked them that is this was so why is bbc and c4 ok - no reply!

steve.
Sub-Tech Technical Services.

snorbs
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby snorbs » Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:30 pm

Thanks for sharing info Steve.
Exactly same issues here.
I have signed up for Nord Vpn which is working for all apps but does slow internet speed.

Sub-Tech Steve
Tourist

Postby Sub-Tech Steve » Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:47 pm

hi snorbs. i have been arguing with 'smart' all day. the same issue happened during the previous big football competition and i wonder if itv are actually blocking all smartdns's servers. it is a possibility, but smart will, of course, deny it.

p.s. not that you are doing such a thing but be waring of using vpn for things like torrents and the dodgy sites where you can watch sky sports, etc - the spanish government is now allowing people to be prosecuted for downloading copyrighted material and even watching sky sports using the dodgy sites. vpn's are never totally safe!

Sub-Tech Steve
Tourist

Postby Sub-Tech Steve » Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:11 pm

update... 'support' just emailed me saying they are looking into an 'ongoing network issue'... hmmm, the one they said was fixed and therefore was possibly a fault with my settings! i can smell something.... cows maybe? :)

p.s. if anyone is using smartdns and has the same problem, make sure you email the smartdns support team!