Windows Vista

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
freecatsrus
Resident

Windows Vista

Postby freecatsrus » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:16 pm

Hope someone can help me with query about Windows Vista.

A friend just bought a new machine with Vista preinstalled.

Problem is it is a Spanish version, e.g when you open sections like control panel etc it is all in Spanish, question is can it be changed to English?

P.S learn spanish is not the answer. Be serious guys.

costapacket
Resident

Postby costapacket » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:48 pm

Had a look at my control panel and this is all I could find:-

Go to the control panel the look for the icon that looks like the earth with a clock in front of it (that is the regional and language settings) The four tabs at the top are format, location, keyboards and languages, administrative.

Format - from the drop down menu select english
Location - drop down menu select United Kingdom
keyboard & languages - the button top right to change keyboard. For languages I clicked on the link at the bottom of the page and this was displayed:-

Install a display language

You can change the language Windows uses to display text in wizards, dialog boxes, menus, and other items in the user interface. Some display languages are installed by default; others require you to install additional language files.

Before you can install a display language, you need access to the language files. These files can be on your computer, on a computer on your network, or on your Windows DVD; or they can be downloaded from the web. For more information, see How do I get additional language files?

To install a Language Interface Pack (LIP), double-click the file to open the setup program. To install a Multilingual User Interface Pack (MUI), follow these steps:

Click to open Regional and Language Options.

Click the Keyboards and Languages tab.

Under Display Language, click Install/uninstall languages, and then follow the steps. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Note
The Display language section will only be visible if you have already installed a LIP or if your edition of Windows supports MUI. MUI packs are only available in Windows Vista Ultimate and Windows Vista Enterprise.

After you install a display language, you need to set your computer to use that language. For more information, see Change the display language.

See also
What can I do with regional formats and languages?

Adminstrative - haven't a clue what that window was all about. Too technical for me.

Hope it works and changes the language for you. :?

costapacket
Resident

Postby costapacket » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:52 pm

Hang on found this.................

Change the display language

The display language is the language that Windows uses in wizards, dialog boxes, menus, and other items in the user interface. Some display languages are installed by default, and others require you to install additional language files.

Click to open Regional and Language Options.

Click the Keyboards and Languages tab.

Under Display language, choose a language from the list, and then click OK.

Note
If you don't see the list of display languages, you need to install additional language files first. For more information, see Install a display language.

See also
How do I get additional language files?
Change your input language

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:48 pm

You can mess around with regional settings etc but the only way it is possible to truly convert Vista from one language to another if you have Vista Ultimate edition.

It is not easy to find suppliers in Spain who will supply a PC with English Vista - there are some.

If you buy online (or by phone) Dell Spain will happily sell you a PC with English software and keyboard and manual.

Sid

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:03 am

The PC that I originally brought out from the UK packed up last year and I had to buy a new one here. It operates on Windows XP and is all in Spanish. My knowledge of Spanish is pretty basic but, if you have used Windows previously then it really doesn´t take a genius to understand whats what in Spanish. Admittedly, when I first got it, the word carpeta slightly threw me until a consultation with the dictionary explained that it was folder :?

As has been said above, it is possible to alter the input language with certain editions of the new Windows Vista but the trouble is that when you attempt to do so, you get the usual warning messages popping up and unless you understand exactly what they mean it´s wise to leave well alone! Also such changes may affect the local warranty!

freecatsrus
Resident

Postby freecatsrus » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:04 am

Thanks for the help will let you all know the outcome next wek when i get a look at his machine, keep the suggestions coming in the meantime.

As masterob said " It doesn't take a genius to understand whats what in Spanish", sorry to say my mate is certainly not a genius, at the best of times him and his OH struggle with XP.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:48 am

If you know XP really well then having it in Spanish might not be a problem to some.

Vista is very different to XP and it's a big learning curve in English, let alone in Spanish!

Sid

freecatsrus
Resident

Postby freecatsrus » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:58 pm

El Cid wrote:If you know XP really well then having it in Spanish might not be a problem to some.

Vista is very different to XP and it's a big learning curve in English, let alone in Spanish!

Sid
Exactly, that is why i was asking for help, it is so different to xp, for instance you don't have to hit the start button to switch off !!!!!! :? :? , took Bill Gates ages to twig onto that part. :lol: :lol:

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:43 am

If you can buy an xp machine do so, vista does not support alot of older printers etc. I had vista the day it came out, it does not support hp printers, my dealer edit software and lots of other stuff. I would advise you to wait at least a year for everyone to catch up.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

vista

Postby Julie » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:52 am

Hi

Not being computer minded LOL
Can someone explain what vista is please >

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:06 am

costakid wrote:If you can buy an xp machine do so, vista does not support alot of older printers etc. I had vista the day it came out, it does not support hp printers, my dealer edit software and lots of other stuff. I would advise you to wait at least a year for everyone to catch up.
Yes, it is fair to say that some manufacturers have not yet produced the relevant drivers for some old printers etc - HP is always bad at this.

However there are already far more drivers available than there ever were with XP at a similar time in its life. Microsoft have a compatibility check available that will tell you just what hardware and software will and will not work on your particular PC. If you are considering upgrading to Vista or buying a new PC with it already installed, it is a good idea to run this first to identify any potential problems.

Sid

sassy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sassy » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:13 am

I bought a Spanish Sony Vaio in Feb which came Vista Ready and I was sent the CD's once Vista went live. We could not change the operating system into English and had to order the English version for Vista Ultimate from the UK. I don't know why a previous poster is having problems with HP, I have no problems with HP printers whatsoever. One problem we are having is finding a suitable Vista ready anti virus program.

In hindsight, I should have stayed with XP, I was used to it and liked working with it very much, there are a few niggly things with Vista that are going to take a while to iron out, I am frequently having to download new add ons for Vista.

Sassy

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:42 am

Sassy, we use a hp 2510 all in one, nothing worked when Vista went live but it was sorted quite quickly, they released the drivers after about a month, however the scanner still does not work. You have to go into programms and scan from paint.

Julie.... vista is the new windows operatig system.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:12 am

sassy wrote: One problem we are having is finding a suitable Vista ready anti virus program.
AVG 7.5 works fine and its free.

Sid

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:11 pm

EL CID, how do you get on with the free anti virus, do you get the same level of protection?

How do norton and the likes sell virus protection for £45 per year if the free ones are as good?

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Re: vista

Postby pigs-might-fly » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:09 pm

Julie wrote:Hi

Not being computer minded LOL
Can someone explain what vista is please >
Vista is Microsoft's way to make serious money by convincing technical ignoramii that they must be at the cutting edge of computer technology, thus forcing unnecessary expense for the new O.S and other software, as much current software and hardware won't work on Vista!
Stay with XP and save your money!

Many Anti-virus and software firewall programs are STILL not Vista ready!

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:20 pm

For those who are interested in computer security, may I recommend this forum.

http://tinyurl.com/vnbf

It is the official support forum for Eset, who make one of the very, very best antivirus programs about. (NOD32).

There are also threads for support of other security products. Much useful information may be had.

AVG is not considered among the top flight anti virus programs. There are better free ones, such as AVAST! free and AVIRA P.E.
AOL, (believe it or not!), offer an excellent free anti-virus, Active Virus Shield, based on the very highly respected Kaspersky engine. Just ignore the offer to install the security toolbar on setting it up and you'll have one of the very best AV programs for nowt.
I don't use it, as I prefer the light footprint , configurability and low memory usage of NOD32, and I hate being nagged to turn on Windows automatic updates

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:26 pm

And another thing!

Have a look here:-

http://tinyurl.com/2z9hqx

COMODO are providers of security certificates to businesses all over the world.
As part of their commitment to total security they provide totally free security products!

Their firewall is excellent (FREE!), - I use it- but their anti-virus offering is, at this stage not good enough to rely on.
They have an anti-malware (trojans etc), Comodo BOclean. program -FREE again and proven to work as it says on the tin!

User forums are here:-

http://tinyurl.com/2kv7vn

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:47 pm

costakid wrote:EL CID, how do you get on with the free anti virus, do you get the same level of protection?

How do norton and the likes sell virus protection for £45 per year if the free ones are as good?
No' they are probably not as good but most of the major vendors now sell"Security Suites". These are bloated intrusive applications and personally I would not pay for them.

For a few years I was a fan of MacAfee and had their firewall and AV programs. Eventually they became so intrusive (lots of messages to tell me how clever they were) that I dumped them.

Personally I find that viruses are very rare now - I used to get a few every week but I haven't seen one for about 2 years.

Trojans are potentially more of a problem but again I haven't seen any either. I use the AVG firewall plus the protection my router gives me and I am more than happy with that.

Personally I feel the risk from all these nasties is seriously overated by suppliers of "anti this and that". A bit of common sense when using the Internet is really all that is needed.

Sid

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:36 am

Here is a link to an independent firewall testing organisation, Matousec.

http://tinyurl.com/yzuw9a

Here is a link to an independent anti-virus testing organisation, AV Comparatives. For test results follow the link on the left of their home page - "Comparatives"

http://tinyurl.com/8ak3y

Many of you, if interested enough to look, will see names with which you are not familiar - but big isn't necessarily the best. "Big Names" spend lots on advertising and bundle trials of their expensive products with many new PCs., relying on customer inertia and brand awareness to give them the sales necessary to repeat the cycle!