broadband internet connection....

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Zofia
Resident

broadband internet connection....

Postby Zofia » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:19 am

I know it's been asked before and I have trawled through a few posts, but am still confused, so can anyone tell me the best way to get broadband where there is a landline, but adsl isn't available through Telefonica? Our dialup is ok and pretty fast, but we want wireless, to be able to use more than one computer at once, and to be able to use Skype.

Is satellite the best way? Radio phone seems pointless as we have a landline...Or through a mobile phone? I have a Bluetooth, which I only use for transferring photos from my mobile to the laptop.

Any advise? TIA.

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Re: broadband internet connection....

Postby Bongtrees » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:09 pm

As far as I know there is no system available which will achieve what you want.

I am not technically minded but from what I know speeds are a little better downloading, but uploading photos or similar is impossible because the upload speed is lower than downspped. People I know constantly complain that the connection breaks all too frequently as well with satellite.

We are 10kms from the town and I understand that ADSL only reaches max 3kms so therefore needs some type of substation every 3kms to get the service to our urb. :cry: and Telefonica arent going to invest in that just for me.

I have stuck with a normal telephone line and ONSPEED which makes a slight improvement. www.onspeed.com

HTH

Zofia
Resident

Postby Zofia » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:41 pm

Thanks for the link, will try that if all else fails. We're looking into satellite broadband at the moment.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:56 pm

Do you mean satellite or a service from a land based transmitter.

Satellite is not really compatible with the use of Skype but you can get limited success with a system such as this:

http://www.everbit.es/

I realise you are outside of the footprint of this company but there are probably similar providers in your area.

Zofia
Resident

Postby Zofia » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:36 pm

Err, I don't know what I mean!!! I'm not very technically minded (even though I work for a website!!). Thanks for the link anyway, will take a look.

So does Slype really only work with phone line broadband?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:08 pm

Generally, yes (well, Skype does anyway, sorry, :D )

If you do manage some kind of satisfactory connection you could try Jajah for which you only need the computer to make the initial connection then you talk on the telephone.

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:50 pm

Beachcomber....I'm confused by your comment that satellite isn't really compatible with Skype...I have sat internet (via Bamboo) and use Skype intensively.....

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:34 am

I have no personal experience but I sometimes talk to a contact with a satellite ADSL service but there is an excruciatingly long delay with high packet loss and jitter.

Perhaps I should suggest that he changes to your provider. :D

Edit:

I have just looked at their web site and they advertise a 'meshed wireless network'. Are you sure you have a satellite connection and not an LMDS based service?

metalmonkey
Resident

Postby metalmonkey » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:31 am

Are you able to see a WIMAX mast? I used Iberbanda who were very good but you need line of sight to a mast
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:29 am

er Beachcomber....could I havr a translation into English please???!!!! I'm fairly 'techie' but not that techie!
Whatever packet loss and jitter are, I'm pretty sure I don't have them!! What I do have is an aerial on the roof!!! :oops:

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:49 am

tjtops - you've got a satellite internet set up, with Bamboo? Could you tell me what your download and upload speeds are like please?

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:15 pm

hi hilly....well they are perfectly OK for anything I want to do (they say 100.00 Mbps)...including downloading music etc ...and I have to say they seem to have ironed out their sabotage problems now (touch wood) so all quiet on the Western front.

Conehead
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Conehead » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:51 pm

I do not think you are getting 100mbs connection to the Internet, I wish it was possible using normal means. What you are seeing is the connection speed between your computer and the "box" that connects your system to the internet. If its 100mbs you are connected by a cable to the "box" as there are 3 set speeds for that type of connection 10/100/1000mbs.

To test your uplaod/download speeds you need to use a program or site to check. You can go here
http://www.myspeed.com/pe/index.html
and down load a free one or go here
http://www.speedtest.net/
and run an on-line test.
Due to the high cost of energy, the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off until further notice.

daftlamb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby daftlamb » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:22 pm

hi

i'm not technically minded at all, but i have just had ADSL line installed - not entirely sure what the difference to me is between ADSL, broadband or dial-up. I also have SKYPE but have no idea how to go about using it!!!

Lorraine :shock:

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:20 pm

Hillybilly, this, according to their web site, is what Bamboo offers:

256 Kbps for 29,99 Euros per month 512 Kbps for 49,99 Euros per month 1024 Kbps for 79,99 Euros per month 2048 Kbps for 139,99 Euros per month

It seems a bit expensive to me but if there is no alternative and it works satisfactorily then fine.

However, what it is not is a satellite service.

http://www.bambootelecom.com/

Tjtops, packet loss and jitter are important to the quality of your Skype (and other VOIP) calls but if you don't know what they are don't worry about it. I think you have a terrestrial multipoint service rather than satellite.

Daftlamb, ADSL and broadband are basically the same. Dial-up is a very slow service but a cheaper option and is an alternative where ADSL is not available..

If you have Skype installed there should be a small green eliptical symbol with a white tick in it in your taskbar. Just double click on it and the Skype interface should open.

If you need step by step instruction I, or someone else, will try to help.

lola2
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lola2 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:45 am

Euphony have several products. pm me for more information.
Is Dyslexia a problem for you? If so pm me.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:40 am

You can find an explanation of jitter and packet loss here:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/126/saa.html

willeaton

Wireless Internet & phone line

Postby willeaton » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:22 pm

I would try Iberbanda, where you have line of site to a mast (check the coverage on this site) you can have internet and a landline set up. Its the perfect solution for new localisations that haven't had the phone lines installed yet.

These guys speak in native English and have an online form to sign up...

http://www.iberbandainenglish.com

Hope that helps
Will

Zofia
Resident

Postby Zofia » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:46 pm

Thanks Will, that's brilliant. I'm delighted to see that where our next home will be (near Montefrio) is covered, we can see the Parapanda mast from the house. However, where we are going to next week, and will be for at least 6 monts, isn't covered, wrong side of Loja. We are getting satellite BB fitted there though, which will work. They say is is Skype compatible too, but that remains to be seen.

Does anyone know if Skype works with Iberbanda?

willeaton

Postby willeaton » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:48 pm

dont see why not, its just a normal internet connection, its just how the internet service is provided thats different. You get a land line with iberbanda anyway if you ask for it