hotmail

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
tjtops
Resident

hotmail

Postby tjtops » Thu May 22, 2008 9:04 pm

Hi all...now for another stupid question!
How do you convince Hotmail to change the list of 'favorite [sic] contacts to favourites that you actually want to appear handily in the right hand pane?? How does it decide who is a favourite and who isn't?? It certainly isn't frequency of mail sent or received, that's for sure.
A small point I know, but one WHICH IS BUGGING ME! :evil:
Last edited by tjtops on Fri May 23, 2008 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is as good as you make it, just keep my glass half full

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri May 23, 2008 4:06 pm

Ditto for me too! It took me a while to realise where the other names were hiding as I used to only have a few contacts. As I started to add more they didn't appear on my main list. I hope someone can help us :?

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Fri May 23, 2008 4:13 pm

Whew!! I thought it was just me being blonde AND senile!!! I hope so too.....

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Sat May 24, 2008 2:50 pm

HI

Try going into contacts on the left hand side...Do you have separate lists. If you want to move someone from one list to another go to that list and tick their name. On the right hand side of the window you should have an add to group option and you can choose which group to add the ticked person to. Hope that is clear ..

I am presuming you are running Windows Live Messenger 8.5.xxxx

Fred

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Tue May 27, 2008 7:56 pm

Fred, I would love to say that's it...but sadly it isn't! (Or not that I can find anyway!)
I tried moving them into 'friends', 'favourites' etc...but that doesn't make them come up in the 'favorite contacts' pane which pops up automatically on the right hand side of the message window...and that's where I want them!!
SO PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!!!

El Cercardo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby El Cercardo » Tue May 27, 2008 9:02 pm

Simply answer - dump hotmail and get a googlemail account...far superior as far as I'm concerned :D

Conehead
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Conehead » Wed May 28, 2008 4:32 am

Assuming you are running windows live messenger try:-

Select Contacts from the left side of the main window.
This should open the list of contacts you have in your address book. If not visible then select All Contacts from the list on the left hand side.
When you see the one you are looking for click on the small square at the left side of the line with the name in it.
Now look at the top line above the list of contacts. Select Edit from that line.
A window appears and just below the Edit Contact details there is a box to check if you want the contact as a favorite. Check that and then save at the top.
That should do it for you. Not as complicated as it reads really. Uncheck to remove.
Due to the high cost of energy, the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off until further notice.

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Wed May 28, 2008 9:49 am

muchas gracias...that indeed worked. FTR I'm not that fond of hotmail either but the entire world has my hotmail address (on business cards etc here and in UK) so changing would be a real bore...... :cry:

Angie P
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Angie P » Wed May 28, 2008 11:42 am

tjtops wrote:muchas gracias...that indeed worked. FTR I'm not that fond of hotmail either but the entire world has my hotmail address (on business cards etc here and in UK) so changing would be a real bore...... :cry:
Using Googlemail, you can now check other accounts as well.. AND choose which account you wish to reply from...

Got this from 'Learn More' on my Google Account

About Mail Fetcher
Google Mail's Mail Fetcher can download messages from up to five other email accounts, centralising all your email in your Google Mail account.

Setting up Mail Fetcher is easy and free, but the email accounts you'd like to fetch from must support POP access and, in the case of Google Mail accounts, have POP access enabled. Some free email services don't offer POP access to their users, so please contact the customer service department of your other webmail provider to determine if POP access is available in your non-Google email account.

Once you've set up Mail Fetcher, Google will check your other accounts on a regular basis, and new mail will appear automatically in Google Mail. Google Mail checks individual accounts for new messages at different rates, depending on previous mail fetch attempts. At the moment, you can't customise the frequency of automatic mail fetches.

You can disable importing at any time.

Dont know if that helps?

I switched from Hotmail to Googlemail as I was finding the junk mail and phishing emails got to a tediously high level with hotmail..
Ive had no problems so far (fingers crossed) with Gmail

Ang

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed May 28, 2008 4:27 pm

Thank you Conehead, that's worked for me too (and thanks to tjtops for raising the subject :wink: )

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Wed May 28, 2008 5:11 pm

All interesting stuff...and since I (think) I have a gmail account somewhere, I might give it a try! thanks all xx

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Wed May 28, 2008 5:43 pm

OK...next question!
Why can't I send an mp3 file with either hotmail OR gmail??? gmail says it's attached but 'sticks' on sending it, hotmail won;t even upload it.... either way, it just doesn't seem to want to leave me :roll: