Connects but doesn't connect!!!!!!!

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
bunty
Resident

Connects but doesn't connect!!!!!!!

Postby bunty » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:12 pm

Thank goodness I have two computers because if not............
Well the one I am using now is going fine but the other one although it says that I am connected does nothing else!
Google .. email etc don't work at all.
It worked yesterday morning when I downloaded a windows update.. but since then .. nothing!!!
I have disinstalled the latest updates but nothing!!!!
It is sad to think how much our lives now depend on Internet connection .. but that is how things are.If anyone has any idea what I can do next ,apart from taking it to a computer shop,I would be most grateful.
It is so hot now that I want to make the least trips possible outside.
Thanks if anyone can help me because from now on Him and me will be fighting for the computer!!!!!!!!

beagle46
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby beagle46 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:33 pm

There was a recent problem with Zone Alarm when a Windows update prevented users from connecting even though the computer said all was fine. If you are using Zone Alarm, disconnect it (you can use Windows Firewall as a backup) and see what happens. If that's it, go to the Zone Alarm site and follow their instructions.

gretch
Resident

Postby gretch » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:37 pm

Have you tried a ‘system restore’?

.Griff.
Resident

Postby .Griff. » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:41 pm

To help we really need to know what operating system you are using, software firewall and AV.

Otherwise it's a bit like walking in the doctors and saying "I don't feel well, what's wrong" with no further explanation.

flan_taster
Resident

Postby flan_taster » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:44 pm

Sounds like the same problem that happened to me - see the earlier post/thread
http://www.andalucia.com/forums/viewtopic-t16447.htm

bunty
Resident

Postby bunty » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:08 pm

Thanks to all who have tried to help me.After many hours investigating the computer (I am 100% computer illiterate ) I have discovered that my operating system is Windows Vista,I have found the meaning of zone alarm but do not have that installed,I did a system restore and removed the latest windows vista service pack I. Finally I investigated the firewall and saw that there were two installed.One with the Panda and one from Windows.I couldn't managed to remove the one from Windows so I removed the one from Panda..... and bingo the computer connected!!!!!! Only hope now that I did right and I don't get a hundred and one viruses etc. Also don't know if I should do any more updates!

pkates
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pkates » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:29 pm

Well done Bunty - it shows what can be done with perseverance!
It sounds to me like Panda conflicted with a Windows update. I think you should be fine with Windows firewall (although i'll probably get it in the neck from the Mircosoft hating crew for saying that!). You should find that Windows updates shouldn't cause the same problem now. I'd recommend that you get Windows Vista Service Pack 1 reinstalled via updates. Also just check that you do have Anti Virus software installed and updated . . that should be it!

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:37 pm

Panda - Shudder!

If you have vista the built in FW is reasonably OK.
Try PCTools (free) firewall - it's quite user friendly. Add their (free) Threatfire and you'll be good to go.
Antivirus (free only), Avira PE (free),or Avast (free) are good too.
AVG 8, (free) is a bit of a problem on some PCs, so avoid for the present.