New TV with built in freeview

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
tt
Andalucia.com Amigo

New TV with built in freeview

Postby tt » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:10 pm

I am thinking of upgrading my TV to a Panasonic HD Ready Plasma. It has freeview built in.
My present TV is connected to a sky digibox receiving the free channels through a 1.3m dish.
Will I get the same channels if I just connect the cable from the dish to the new TV using the built in freeview.

I didn't realise how complicated upgrading a TV was.
Has anyone any advice on minimum specs ie should I go for HD Ready or Full HD.

Advice and opinions would be appreciated.

Thank you

TT

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:08 pm

You will still need your Sky digibox to receive programmes from the UK. The built in Freeview (TDT) will only receive Spanish channels.

tt
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby tt » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:26 pm

Thanks for the reply. Are you saying that the built in freeview box will only pick up tdt signals and would be of no use connected to the 'sky dish'. I did a tdt signal check on my post code but it is not available yet. Was it by 2010 the whole of Spain would be covered?
Any views on the Full HD or HD Ready.
Thanks again for your comments. Your comments are always helpful, well, unless the subject is politics or solicitors, then light blue touch paper...........

TT

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:43 pm

tt wrote: Any views on the Full HD or HD Ready.
It depends on the size and the viewing distance. Full HD is really only worth it for screens 42" or over watched at less than 10ft.

When choosing a set look for the best possible non HD (SD) performance - they are all almost too good on HD. Most of the time you will be watching SD.

Forget about Plasma unless you want something over 46". They burn power and don't work well in brightly lit rooms.

I have a 40" Samsung LCD HD ready and the quality of the SD picture from Sky is superb - it's difficult to see how HD would be much better (but I'm sure it would but I'm not there yet!)

I used to have a very good Grundig CRT but it was almost unwatchable in bright light (we have lots of windows). The Samsung is great.

Another point - whatever size you decide to buy - buy the next size up - you won't regret it!

Sid

pmb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pmb » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:22 pm

Here in the UK you can buy big Panasonics with freesat built in but don't suspect they have found their way down there yet.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:44 pm

It depends on what you mean by Freesat. It is not a service normally available in Spain so the sets will not include it.

All the Spanish sets include the equivalent of Freeview (TDT).

If you want to buy a separate Freesat receiver they are available for 50€ or less (plus dish etc).

Sid

pmb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pmb » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:57 pm

By Freesat I mean the BBC/ITV newly created service. Google panasonic viera and you will find these sets that have HD freesat receivers built in. I wondered if that was being referred to in the first post.

tt
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby tt » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:14 pm

No pmb. I was referring to freeview not the freesat.
I am seriously looking at the Samsung LE37M87BD which Urende have on offer at €749. Have been into the local shops to see if they can price match as I would prefer to deal with them.

Thanks for all the comments.

TT

pmb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pmb » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:59 pm

Thanks for clearing that up tt. Your first post mentioned using the cable from the dish which is why I wondered.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:00 pm

tt wrote:No pmb. I was referring to freeview not the freesat.
I am seriously looking at the Samsung LE37M87BD which Urende have on offer at €749. Have been into the local shops to see if they can price match as I would prefer to deal with them.

Thanks for all the comments.

TT
That looks like a good price to me.

It doesn't make a lot of difference where you buy it as all warranty work will be done by the local Samsung service engineers.

With a 37" set you will find HD Ready adequate. Most reviews I have read suggest 42" is the break point for Full HD but the price gap is narrowing fast so the saving is not as great as it was 6 months ago.

I am really pleased with my Samsung. There is a good review of the 37" set here:-

http://www.hdtvorg.co.uk/reviews/lcd/Sa ... M87BDX.htm

Sid

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:05 pm

Is it OK to buy Samsung now? I bought a Samsung cassette player about 35 years ago and it was a load of rubbish. I have never bought anything with name Samsung on it since.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:36 pm

Beachcomber wrote:Is it OK to buy Samsung now? I bought a Samsung cassette player about 35 years ago and it was a load of rubbish. I have never bought anything with name Samsung on it since.
I trust that was tongue in cheek - I think things have changed a bit in 35 years!

Samsung is the largest manufacturer of consumer electronics in the world and the world's largest maker of LCD screens.

If you buy any LCD TV it will have a screen made by Samsung or LG.

If you want a change from electronics, Samsung are currently building the tallest building in the world in Dubai - 818m high! No doubt there will be a few Samsung TV's on each of the 160 floors!

Sid :D

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:02 pm

I forgot about the Samsung LCD screen I am using right now. It is the only Samsung product I have bought since then but I have to admit that it is fine. Image

petert74
Andalucia.com Amigo

Phillips LCD 37inch TV

Postby petert74 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:24 pm

We got a leaflet yesterday from Media Markt in Los Barrios.

The are selling a 37 inch Phillips LCD TV with DTT reduced from €899 to €599.

Yes that is correct, I believe the offer starts at the weekend. No doubt they will be flying out of the shop!!!!

I dont think I ever seen at 37inch branded TV sell for less than €600.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:28 pm

Phillips don't have a particularly good reputation for cheap LCD's.

Read this review - it may not be the same model but is probably indicative of what to expect.

http://www.hdtvorg.co.uk/reviews/lcd/Ph ... F5521D.htm

Sid