BBC streaming problem

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Robano
Andalucia.com Amigo

BBC streaming problem

Postby Robano » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:39 pm

Does anyone know why I cannot stream my favourite radio programme from the BBC - I can get everything else but not this one. It is, I am afraid to say Radio 1 Judge Jules Friday/Saturday show - maybe its just me that can't get it. The messahe is - 'Audio stream is not available to this time'

Has been this way for 3 or so weeks. BBC helpline says there is no problem but in their faqs they mention that there is sometime problem for those living in Europe?

Ta
Now living, relaxing and passing the time Cornwall for a while - very often thinking of the Axarquia and its mountains.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:55 pm

Is this problem just with Listen Again or can you not access the live audio stream either?

There have also been problems with some programmes on BBC7 and Radio 4 which are supposed to have been caused by 'teething problems' with iPlayer.
It could also be a copyright issue. Is there anyone in the UK you could ask to see if they can access the audio stream?

Robano
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Robano » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:02 pm

I can get my brother to try it from the UK - Good thought - Thanks

Not sure what you mean re listen gain - is that different from the audio stream - Oh live stream - no I think that is alright although this programme is at 2.00 in the morning and I dont want to wait up for that.

Is there a new iplayer that has these teething problems?

Thanks
Now living, relaxing and passing the time Cornwall for a while - very often thinking of the Axarquia and its mountains.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:11 pm

i UNDERSTAND THAT NOTHING IS AVAILABLE VIA IPLAYER IF YOUR ip ADDRESS IS OUTSIDE THE uk, DUE TO BROADCASTING RESTRICTIONS

Sorry for "shouting"! I left it like this in case some clever bod can tell if there is a way of changing all text to upper and lower case after accidentally composing it with caps lock on? :?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:15 pm

iPlayer radio programmes are available outside of the UK as they always were on the old Listen Again service. I use it regularly.

The Listen Again service has been transferred to the BBC iPlayer. If the live audio stream works you could use an audio recorder to record it and make into an MP3. It just means you would have to leave your computer on all night.

It is only iPlayer TV programmes that are not available outside of the UK although they say they are working on an international version of the service. See here:

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/h ... /outsideuk

wagon ropes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby wagon ropes » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:30 pm

I too have had trouble listening to the Beeb since they changed to BBC iplayer from BBC radio player. I still can not get it to play in Firefox but it is fine if I play it through Internet Explorer. Hope this helps.
Life is 'ard den you die!

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:20 pm

I use it in Firefox except for the odd stream that will not work. However, waiting for an hour or two solves that problem. I use it only for BBC7 and Radio 4.

ashfieb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ashfieb » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:43 pm

You can use an IP changer such as http://smarthide.com/ to give a UK IP then you can use iPlayer as if you are in the UK

Cheers, Barry

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:01 pm

I have been looking for a UK proxy but all they appear to do is hide ones IP address which is not sufficient.

What is required is a proxy that is actually UK based and makes it appear as though one is actually located in the UK.