Easy to read mobile screen in sunshine

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
flan_taster
Resident

Easy to read mobile screen in sunshine

Postby flan_taster » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:16 am

Am having more problems reading my cheap mobile screen (Nokia 2610 Type RH-86 Movistar) in Andalucian sun. It's ok inside a darkened room. The screen appears to be darkened and so the messages and texts are difficult to read.
I assume that I can't just take the screen cover off !
Any recommendations for a cheap Nokia that has a screen that can be read in sun !!

wagon ropes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby wagon ropes » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:53 pm

I do feel for you, I've got the same phone and the only way I can use it outside is if I bury it in the depths of my handbag and dive in after it :lol: Not much help to you I know but I thought you might feel better to know there is a fellow sufferer out there.
Life is 'ard den you die!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:23 pm

It's much the same with all these digital cameras that don't have viewfinders any more!

It gets even worse if you are wearing sunglasses.

Sid

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:38 am

It's the same with shiny screens on laptops - even indoors the reflection of a table light can irritate!

flan_taster
Resident

Postby flan_taster » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:01 am

I think the solution in my case is to get some heavy cloth material preferably black and drape it over my head when using the phone. like one of those old plate camera men ...and come to think of it, I could also use it when taking scenic outdoor shots.
just hope that I am not mistaken for a terrorist and those police guns are not loaded.

wagon ropes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby wagon ropes » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:32 pm

Don't you find it infuriating that all the producers of these difficult to use items must know of the problems but do nothing about it :x

It's the same with the 'clever clogs' computer program guys who think it is great that they can spot you are in Spain and instantly convert your screen to Spanish even though you have been working in English until that moment :roll:
Life is 'ard den you die!

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:05 pm

Yes and Google, too!
While you can decide the display language, it always defaults to google.es for the actual search.
Yahoo.co.uk will let you search the site you want, though.
Try Scroogle as an alternative. It strips out Google's paid-for links and other intrusions. (SCREWGoogle!).

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:28 pm

If you go to www.google.com it will default to the Spanish site.

If you use www.google.co.uk it will stay on the UK site.

The best option is to download the Google Toolbar from the UK site and then you never need to go to a Google page again.

Sid

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:08 pm

Thanks Sid. I have just done this! Much better!

Karen
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:54 pm

wagon ropes wrote:Don't you find it infuriating that all the producers of these difficult to use items must know of the problems but do nothing about it :x
On my Sony Ericsson mobile it is impossible to read the incoming call message as it is white writing on a pale blue background and there doesn't seem to be any way of changing the colours. As it is, I need to fumble around for my reading glasses to read any message as it is so small anyway :? :oops:

Angie P
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Angie P » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:57 pm

I have a Samsung u600 and it has a 'sunlight mode' which apparently makes the screen easier to read when in direct sunlight.

It doesnt really work to be honest! Slight improvement, but the screen is so reflective that everything around you is visible in the screen.

I wouldnt recommend one for this and a number of other reasons. I know it doesnt help you, but thought I would add my tupenny's worth in case someone added that they had seen you could now buy a phone with a special setting and you were considering spending time looking for one!

Ang