Direct-Telecom.es

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Spanishstokey
Tourist

Direct-Telecom.es

Postby Spanishstokey » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:52 pm

Has anyone used them?

Regards

Martin Page
Resident

Re: Direct-Telecom.es

Postby Martin Page » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:59 pm

Nope - but its only 1E more for 6Mb/s ADSL and no shaping (they say) or excesive use policy from Telefonica
Doesnt telefonica have to supply the phone line ?.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:11 pm

I use them for making calls.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Spanishstokey
Tourist

Postby Spanishstokey » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:05 pm

Martin...........Yes you have to rent the line from Telefonica

Miro.............How have you found them, both for service and cost? What made you go with them?

Regards

johnm
Tourist

Postby johnm » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:28 pm

I have taken on Direct Telecom but am currently having doubts. I have just contracted for 3Mbps ADSL but the highest recorded on any ADSL speed test is 600kbps (and much less on other tests). My previous ADSL was 1Mbps ad I consistently registered above 800kbpsThey say that they are working on it but we will have to see. If it does not improve, I will be shortly migrating to another provider as they are certainly not the cheapest.
romero

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:38 pm

"Yes you have to rent the line from Telefonica"
I am with orange now(telefonica before), so although I have a landline I do not pay anything to orange, if telefonica receive anything for my landline it´s orange who pays it , no me the customer

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:59 pm

Spanishstokey wrote:
Miro.............How have you found them, both for service and cost? What made you go with them?

Regards
I've used them for years for calls - I don't have an automatic routing thingy, just dial a four digit access code before dialling the number I'm calling. Monthly invoice to my e-mail inbox, in English, very clear and easy to understand with full call breakdown. Never had to call them, but all their operators speak English if you do. Direct debit payments never gone wrong. If it's a small amount one month, they roll it over to the next before claiming it. Don't know the tariff off hand and haven't even bothered checking to see how it compares with others, to be honest, because when I started using them, there weren't many, if any, other options, :oops: but when 'er indoors yaks to her sister in the UK for over an hour, the bill is usually less than €2 - I think SKYPE-out may be cheaper, but when the computer isn't on, it's a good alternative.

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

pentaqua-new
Resident

Postby pentaqua-new » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:21 pm

Like Miro, no hassle - and no hassle with our Telefonica line even though we're high up in the campo.

I can't really justify ADSL - if it takes 30 secs+ to load a Daily Telegraph/Mail article, so be it - I'm not in a rush to do anything else.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:11 pm

I also use Direct Telecom for all my phone calls and have done so for the last 4 years. Like Miro I have never had any problems with their service. I use it because it is reasonably cheap and calls cost the same irrespective of what time the call is made. Typically a 46min call to a UK land line costs €1.54. I have not been tempted by their ADSL service simply because I am generally satisfied with what Telefonica provides.

Spanishstokey
Tourist

Postby Spanishstokey » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:16 pm

Thanks for your input folks, it's aprectiated. So what I can gather is that the customer service is good and the phone calls cheaper than Telefonica! I was told that the prefix would be dropped after a certain amount of time and that I would just have to dial the normal number.........Is this true or not?

Regarding ADSL........I was looking at them providing this aswell, but now believe from the posts that this may not be good option.

Regards
Spanishstokey

pentaqua-new
Resident

Postby pentaqua-new » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:29 pm

No prefix necessary - just use it as a normal dial.

Don't know about ADSL - just that the extra €20+ isn't worth it for us.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Regarding the prefix number, when I first signed up I was told to include it each time I dialled a number, not doing so means the call is routed through Telefonica at greater cost. Later I was told that I could register to have all calls automatically routed via Direct Telecom. For some unknown reason I never got around to doing that so, I still have to use the prefix. Not a problem really because all the numbers (prefix included) that I call are in my phones´memory. Just need to remember to include the prefix when dialling a new number not in the memory.

Another reason in my opinion for not using their ADSL is that it still requires a Telefonica land line and there could be the potential for dispute between Direct Telecom and Telefonica in the event of a breakdown of service with the customer stuck in the middle!

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:12 pm

Ditto and ditto. Never signed up for automatic routing because most numbers I dial are pre-programmed anyway, and just in case I want to change my mind later (e.g. if Telefónica becomes the cheaper option - or pigs fly), and I am basically happy with Telefónica ADSL and don't want to upset things by switching. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Spanishstokey
Tourist

Postby Spanishstokey » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:37 pm

How much per month is Telefonica ADSL? Please.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:49 pm

€40,90 per month for 6Mb. There are introductory offers for new customers. See here: http://tinyurl.com/7p2d9g.
You also need to pay line rental. The whole lot comes to about €68 per month incl. IVA.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:28 pm

telefonicas adsl is €40,90 as miro says, plus line rental, coming to €68 ish a month.

but that does include free national calls.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Spanishstokey
Tourist

Postby Spanishstokey » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:55 pm

Thanks for that Miro...........See you have a parrot! :wink:

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:49 am

Spanishstokey wrote:Thanks for that Miro...........See you have a parrot! :wink:

a parrot ? i was adding information to miro´s post. :roll:
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

ozzie
Tourist

Postby ozzie » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:09 am

Doesn't Direct Telecom incluse free national calls? and if someone could explain what they claim are 300mins of free VoIp :?: calls to Uk it would be greatly appreciated! Not terribly techie minded :?

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:34 pm

it's all explained in fairly plain English on their website: http://www.direct-telecom.es/
VoIP = voice over internet protocol - that is, using your computer and internet connection.