Sky TV

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
kellymcg

Sky TV

Postby kellymcg » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:01 am

Hi,

I'm trying to get the full details of having Sky installed when we move over and I've been told to contact a Sky installer called Tony who is around the La Linea area. They didn't have the number and I can't find it so I thought I wold try a long shot and ask if anyone here would know at all?

Thanks

Kelly

murbisa
Resident

Re: Sky TV

Postby murbisa » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:21 am

Kelly you mentioned my favourite subject at the moment. We had the basic package installed over here 7 years ago. An Irish gentleman, who I will not name. They messed up getting the card registered even though I brought it from the UK. I ended up having to do it from the UK. They kept asking me if i was in Spain so I just acted like the little old brainless OAP :D
Then when we came over 2 years ago I brought my sky+ box and the full package. Hard drive went so we had a new one put in. Then they did an upgrade on the box which totally bug****ed it for weeks while hundreds of people complained and they rolled back the update. They have now put the update through again and everytime we have a glip in the power, which is quite frequent here it takes me about an hour to get it going again. Sky is the pits!
I am going back to the UK next week and going to buy myself a freesat box and tell sky where they can stick their package. We only watch the basic channels mostly anyway. No signal on most of the film channels and OH will just have to do without his wrestling!! £46 a month for a load of rubbish.
My advice to you is buy yourself a freesat box before you come over and just have a dish put up here. There are so many free to air channels now, and if you want the live pause and be able to record programmes you can get ones now with a hard drive in them. This is what I am going to get.
Just out of interest has anyone got one of these over here and how are they getting on with it????

Muriel

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:26 pm

theres a million and one sky installers in spain.

pretty much any old sky box or freeview box will work when connected to a correctly aligned dish.

i dont know tony, sorry.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:46 pm

There may be a million and one ladder monkeys in Spain but bona fide satellite technicians are few and far between.
Let's go Brandon!

mijas-lady
Resident

Postby mijas-lady » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:23 pm

i agree beachcomber but loads have returned to uk now so at least the genuine ones left do a good job as wih most at the moment-but then the change of sky cards has hit to start a new problem :roll:

suenos
Tourist

Postby suenos » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:03 pm

murbisa wrote:My advice to you is buy yourself a freesat box before you come over and just have a dish put up here. There are so many free to air channels now
Murbisa, freesat does not give you hardly any channels in Southern Spain so dont throw your skybox out yet. You get more with Sky basic (without any card).

A friend gave us one thinking we would get loads more channels. You cannot receive them though - it is all to do with satellite dish size and where you live. Southern Spain is far too far for the satellite to reach. I cannot remember which website I saw the range on.

We tried it anyway and we received less channels than we get now with sky. We were lucky, we gave it back to him to take back to the UK. Try it if you get the box for free, but you may get very disappointed if you pay for it.

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:39 pm

Hi Suenos
I am surprised by what you say about freesat. As the channels all come from the same satellite I find it hard to understand why one box would pick them up and not another. From what I have read on various forums the humax boxes are very good for fringe areas. The main benefit is having the record and live pause facility which I would have to pay Sky £10 a month for?
Where do you live? We get a very strong sky signal here and never lose channel 4 or 5.
Even if there is the odd channel I can't get I still have my old Pace 2600 sky box in the bedroom which I can watch. We only seem to watch the BBC and ITV channels these days anyway, especially in summer when we are outside a lot more. i just like to record my programmes and watch them when I have time.

Anyone out there who has got freesat????? Would love some opinions.

Muriel

karen4
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby karen4 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:46 pm

I thought that Sky packages out here were illegal?

suenos
Tourist

Postby suenos » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:09 pm

We are in Alhaurin de la Torre. We get a great picture with sky and never seem to lose it.

Found the link http://www.ukfree.tv/helpme.php?faqid=2342

I read this before and we thought, what the hell, lets try it and guess what? They were right.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:18 pm

I cant fault my Humax FREESAT HDR box - and the BBC HD is well worth the loss of Fiver ( which will be availible in August along with a chanel specifically for ITV HD.)

Sky can go boil its head for me ...

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:41 pm

I just want to know why Muriel will not wrestle with her OH! Is his flying cross-buttock too violent?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:55 pm

No Peter - he is 6'4" and I am 5'2" - there would be no contest :lol: I'd be like strawberry jam on the floor at the first tackle

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:00 pm

Karen4 - I thought all sky was illegal out here. Hasn't stopped anybody having it!!

Martin - So you think I am doing the right thing buying this Humax box with the hard drive in it?
Hope my new sky card is waiting for me when I get back to Cardiff then I can use it for basic channels in my old pace box.

I feel like you - sky can go boil :D

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:25 pm

as i understand it ...

sky "free-to-air" is not illegal... (NOT FREEVIEW)

sky "contracted" (which needs a uk address) is frowned upon, but not technically illegal. and they will cut you off if they find out.
Last edited by spanish_lad on Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:26 pm

Beachcomber wrote:There may be a million and one ladder monkeys in Spain but bona fide satellite technicians are few and far between.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: