Iberbanda Apple powerbook

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
telboy
Resident

Iberbanda Apple powerbook

Postby telboy » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:28 pm

Does anyone know whether I can get internet connection through Iberbanda on an Apple Powerbook?

sunkissed
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Iberbanda Apple powerbook

Postby sunkissed » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:26 pm

You will be connected to a wi-fi internet service via an antenna shared with many other people - a bit like an internet cafe but everyone spread over the countryside. However thereon from your house to your computer/other internet devices it is the same as wired landline connection from BT etc where you have a router. It'll be just like the other any other wired internet services and your powerbook will automatically connect to it via your router when you plug in the ethernet cable (as opposed to switching on airport and connecting wirelessly). The router provided to you will be the connection to your wireless internet system and configured to you so you can plug any computer into it. If they give you a wireless router you can connect to the router by either ethernet cable or turn on airport but then you have a wireless to wireless connection which I would guess is not as good or reliable as the wireless to ethernet

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:45 am

Thanks for that info sunkissed :D

I am accessing the internet through Iberbanda on a friends PC whilst they are on their jollies, please note I am not familiar with PCs.

The signal is beamed to a small dish or antenna the cable is then connected to a small rectangular box of which there are 3 lights lit WIRELESS, ETN, POWER, then from a cable(ethernet) to the PC.

If I disconnect the cable from the PC and connect it to my mac, then surely I would need to configure
it. If this is so, where do I access this info on the PC and what do I need to take note of?

Cheers

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:25 am

Hi telboy,
When you took the ethernet cable out of the PC and plugged it into your MAC did you reboot the MAC :?:
Most PC's will get an IP address when they boot up, on some setups the PC will have permanent IP address.

To check the PC setup
Start -> control panel -> Network connections ->right click on the network connection and then properties
scroll down the box until you see Internet Protocol, highlight, then properties ..here it will normally say "Obtain IP adress automatically". If it set to" Use the following IP" then make a note of this info and use it to set up the MAC.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:34 am

Thanks guys.

Configured info manually worked out easier than I thought.