BT in Spain

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

BT in Spain

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:42 am

Sorry if this has been covered before...

Has anyone used the BT in Spain ADSL ?..

Seems quite a good deal, but I'm a complete 'duffer' when it comes to Phones and 'Puters...

I don't like using Telefonica or Bt, but have to admit that they both do seem to give the best service..especially broadband...
Anyway I would appreciate any comments or advice...

Regards,
Gordon

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: BT in Spain

Postby Enrique » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:50 am

Hi Benidorm,
BT in Spain is handled by internet4spain so there maybe some takers out there :?
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:45 pm

Enrique,
Thanks for that, appreciated....

I was looking at BTABROAD.COM site, 42.90 euros for the highest plan, not sure if there is anything else to pay apart from iva.
It seems what I am looking for, but obviously would like to hear from anyone with any more info.

Regards,
Gordon

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:29 pm

Hi Benidorm,
Don't forget the line rental at + 13.97€ and 18month minimum contract.
The speed you're going to get will depend on the distance you're from the exchange, so need to do your homework on this one.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:15 pm

Thanks Enrique,
Forgot about the line rental.. :( ....I did use Telefonica Broadband for quite awhile, without problems, so I guess that reception is good where I live.
As I'm travelling quite alot at the moment , I'm using a laptop with a Movistar Contract..( dongle thing to my mobile)..seems quite reasonable, but has bad days when it is really slow...

I need fast speed, don't play games or download music or anything but really do need rapid reliable connection....Any ideas..Please?
Regards,
Gordon

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:17 pm

I checked the site. BT Spain are offering me 6Mb and they take over the Telefonica line. Total price including line rental from BT is €58.00 per month including VAT. This compares to Telefonica's €70.00 per month. I'll let you know how it goes as I signed up today. Price includes a wireless router.

(I'll probably ask Enrique & Pigs for help in a few days)

:(
Dave

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:17 pm

Mowser,
That sounds ok...please let me know how you get on...

Regards,
Gordon

jo-ann
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jo-ann » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:50 pm

Yes I am interested in this as well, as my contract with telefonica for 1 year will be up at end of August and I would love to change

ashfieb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ashfieb » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:41 pm

I have been with BT Arrakis for 18 months, no problems, I have the UK calls option and my line is still with Telefonica, I get around 6meg, it connects through Jass

Cheers, Barry
Cheers, Barry

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:55 am

Well that's it set up and it's rubbish! I did a speed check and it's 1MB!
I phoned support and was told it should be 3Mb I should be getting (better than nothing) and they're trying to change it.
I was specifically told by one Amanda Jackson from the company that they would match what I had with Telefonica. Pash - total pash.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Dave

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:00 pm

Here's the speedtest I got.

I'll post later with update if my speed gets increased. At present I'd say it's pretty useless.
Dave

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:01 pm

@ Mowser: Is support generally available in English?

ashfieb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ashfieb » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:07 pm

It is strange that I am connecting with Jazz, but I am with Arrakis

Cheers, Barry
Cheers, Barry

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:14 pm

Just a thought, Mowser - you might try re-setting your Winsock layer on your PC, that sometimes helps.
On XP you run the cmd window, (from Start|Run and type cmd hit "enter") and in the black window which appears, type this:- netsh winsock reset - Best to copy & paste this instruction to make sure it's exactly as I have written it here, including the spaces.
Press "enter" and after a moment you will be asked to restart the PC to complete the exercise.
You might need to check your MTU, (which is basically the maximum packet of data which can be transmitted without it being broken up into separate bits), and confirm with BT what their recommended level is. If you carry out an internet search "adjust MTU" you will get plenty if instructions on how to do this. There are also several free utilities which will perform such tweaks for you. Again, a search will find them. I use one called TCPOptimiser.
With a router you also need the correct MTU for your ISP, but I would guess that if it came from BT, it will have been set correctly - but worth checking, I think.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:34 pm

In answwer to a previous question, support is in English.
Ok it's now official. I am an idiot! A guy from the company phoned me and said he could see my problem. :oops:

I had connected the microfilter to the computer cable instead of the phone cable. I now have my 3MB.
I was told that as I'm less than 1 kilometre from the exchange, 6MB is possible but that's for companies.
I'll get back if there's an update.
Dave

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:40 pm

Update....

Dave

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:41 pm

Hi Mowser,
Good job you didn't rush in and change any of those params......... :D
One thing at a time 8)
So you're back with the same service for less monies :D

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:31 am

With regard to my original question, MANY THANKS to everyone who answered and asked questions ( mainly Mowser)....

And a Special Thank You to ENRIQUE, who I feel should be nominated for the Most Helpful A.Com Newcomer 2009 Award... :D :D

And I think that I will probably go with BT in Spain....unless anyone else can tell me about a better deal ?

Regards,
Gordon...

valencia

Postby valencia » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:25 pm

BT in Spain is managed by a number of contracted distributors not just the ones mentioned. I myself contracted through www.btspain.com or www.btinspain.com Tel > 902733633. This office is very friendly and helpful, I received what I was promised and the transfer was smooth. I know that some people on various forums complain but you have to remember that at the end of the day , telefonica are as awkard to the competation as they are to their customers and want to get in the way of loosing their contracts.
Anyway for those who are interested in changing their services of mobile , usb internet or landline packages they should take a look at www.btspain.com , they also provide booster and signal enhancing equipment for all mobile internet providers.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:00 pm

hmm.. hi valencia. you on comission? ;)

out of interest, why did you move from telefonica mowser ? benidorm, why are you trying to avoid them?

as you are talking 3mb and 6mb speeds i shall assume that you mean fixed landline adsl.

mine is with telefonica - i have 10mb adsl, wireless router and all calls to spanish land lines included. total cost / month is :

€44,90 adsl
€13,97 line rental

€58,87 total

where did you get €70/month from for 3mb mowser ? (just out of interest, im not arguing, ive got the bill in front of me.)
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.