Vodafone dongle for networking??

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
metalmonkey
Resident

Vodafone dongle for networking??

Postby metalmonkey » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:26 pm

Hi I have a vodafone dongle which I am very pleased with as I can skype etc and get a speed of 3.6. I have been alternating it between my PC and lap top but does anyone know if it's possible to set up a network using a dongle which would save me a lot of time

many thanks

Julie
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Vodafone dongle for networking??

Postby gerryh » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:50 pm

Hi Julie
I have a router with the Vodafone USB modem attached. My Desktop PVC is connected via ethernet cable and my laptop connects via WiFi.
I'm just on my way out. I will post more details tomorrow if nobody else posts in the meantime.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:30 pm

Hi Julie,
Gerry is your man, he's got the T-shirt so will be able to sort you out, will need some budget from OH for some shiny new kit. :)
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:58 pm

Hi Julie
I bought a VigSys VD30 docking station. The Vodafone USB modem is pugged into the docking station.
My desktop PC is connected to the docking station via an ethernet cable and my Laptop is connected via a WIFi link.
So both PC and laptop can access the internet at the same time or either one of them can if both aren't switched on.
The VigSys VD30 docking station is the only piece of equipment I found that does this.
The only place I found that I could buy it was at http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VigSys-VD30-Docki ... 286.c0.m14.
If you have an old Vodafone USB modem, a Huawei E220 modem, it plugs sraight into the docking station.
If you have one of the new ones, a Huawei K3528 modem then you will need an adaptor obtainable from http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-2-0-A-female- ... 911.c0.m14
Using this set up allows the 2 computers to be networked so that they can easily share files.
If you want help on networking the Enrique is your man. :D

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

metalmonkey
Resident

Postby metalmonkey » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:12 pm

Hi gerry that's excellent I've just ordered one I have the old E220. It will make my life so much easier

Cheers

Julie
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room