PAY AS YOU GO MOBILE

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
alicia
Andalucia.com Amigo

PAY AS YOU GO MOBILE

Postby alicia » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:04 pm

Hi

Have Vodafone Contract Mobile at moment but finding it pretty expensive. The contract finishes soon and am looking to get Pay As You Go Mobile - can anyone recommend good pay as you go phone provider - also can you buy pay as you go SIM unlocked phones here (Near Coin) and where would you buy the SIMS to go in them!!!! Finally, how do you put credit on a pay as you go phone here in Spain!!!! Would be really grateful for any help. Thanks.

:wtf:

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: PAY AS YOU GO MOBILE

Postby Enrique » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:12 pm

Hi alicia,
To answer your last question, just pop onto an ATM and put credit on to your phone. :thumbup:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:25 pm

pay as you go is usually more expensive per call than contract, so it´s more a question of using the phone less rather than changing from contract to mobile,

vodafone have many different contract tariffs which means that with a bit of studying the offers a lot can be saved

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:46 pm

Your existing phone can be unlocked. If the contract?s over ask vodafone to unlock it
I use Eroski and pay around 18 cents per min. The best part for me though is that there is no connection charge and I pay by the second
Another good thing is that I don't need to top up as they bill me every month for what I've used and I pay by Direct debit.
They will also give you advice on vodafone's obligation to unlock your phone
Please note that I use my mobile very little I have a land line as well

malagaman2005
Resident

Postby malagaman2005 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:51 pm

If you don't have a card to use in an ATM then most garages, supermarkets and tobacconists will top up your phone. All mobile phone outlets sell either PAYG phones with your preferred provider (Vodafone, Orange, Movistar etc) or unlocked to any provider, these are known as Libres but are considerably more expensive. If your contract has expired then just buy a PAYG sim (approx 20 euros and usually with about 12-15 euros free credit) and slot it in your phone and Robert's your dads brother !!!
" If at first you don't succeed then skydiving is not for you"

pete_l
Resident

Postby pete_l » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:28 pm

Enrique wrote:Hi alicia,
To answer your last question, just pop onto an ATM and put credit on to your phone. :thumbup:
Don't you have to have the CC linked to the phone number before you can do this? I've never managed to top up my PAYG phone in this way.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:03 pm

Hi pete_1
I just pop my Spanish bank card in ATM, select the Network I'm with and phone number and topup.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Pauly
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Pauly » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:14 pm

This may not be of much help to folks living in Spain - but not everyone on this Forum is....

I had a Vodaphone contract that I never even got close to using all the 'free' texts and calls and it was costing me £30 a month. I switched to Tesco pay as you go. Good value but poor signal coverage. So I switched again to Asda pay as you go who use the Vodaphone network. I now have good signal coverage and pay 4p a text and 8p a minute. As a low user of services this is spot on for me - £15 lasts me months.
dos cervezas por favor

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:26 pm

I use PAYG in spain now. I once lost my movil and didn't realise for a couple of days when I was on contract :twisted: I have Orange and it can be topped up in most supermarkets, estancos etc.

wendyakemp
Resident

Postby wendyakemp » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:19 am

We have also ditched movistar payg and now use Asda for occassional use in Spain, much cheaper.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:05 am

pete_l wrote:
Enrique wrote:Hi alicia,
Don't you have to have the CC linked to the phone number before you can do this? I've never managed to top up my PAYG phone in this way.

nope, any pay-go phone can be topped up from any cashpoint :)
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.