Explorer/Firefox

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
tjtops
Resident

Explorer/Firefox

Postby tjtops » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:52 pm

Please can someone tell me if there's a known problem/infection at the moment with Explorer (7 OR 8) and/or Firefox??
This morning I had the dreaded 'blue screen of death' -- well, Windows desktop background -- and nothing else, on my main laptop but finally managed to restore some sort of action with repeated F8s (and a nervous breakdown).
In the meantime, I dragged out the 'old' laptop and kick started it into action (intended to make some sort of useable backup as my compy is vital for my work!) but although my new router/modem installed perfectly OK, and the connection was established (ie connected to Skype and Messenger no probs) no way would it connect to Explorer or Firefox.... I even did a system restore to December, when it worked perfectly OK, but no joy.
Now I still can't connect to Explorer (on the 'new' laptop) and Firefox keeps going into 'not responding' mode.....(it's been doing that a lot but mainly on facebook, so I just thought it was fb.... :oops: )
Please please can someone help???? I've just run Malware on the new one, and it hasn't found anything....(all MUCH more urgent than NIEs, :lol: :lol: :lol: )
Life is as good as you make it, just keep my glass half full

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Re: Explorer/Firefox

Postby Mowser » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:27 pm

Don't know if this will help, but there's a Youtube video about this. It suggests things like ensuring your drivers are updated on a regular basis, not having too many apps at once etc. A poor power supply may also cause this. Have a look ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pP7CgJn0Uk
Dave

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:03 pm

My son got the blue screen of death today on his laptop and all his desktop settings had changed I did a scan with malwarebites and there were some viruses on his computer

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:21 pm

No issue as far as I know. My only problem is getting near the computer as wife is addicted to Farmville on Facebook!

First port of call if you get problems like this is to do what Mark did. Scan for viruses. Often, when things go ape****, it is something untoward getting in that causes it.

Once you have it sorted make sure you are properly protected.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:01 pm

I don't know if it's the same cause, but the end result sounds pretty similar to what happened to me :( viewtopic.php?f=35&t=22918

Haven't found a solution to the connection problem, but have now hopefully got rid of all the nasties :clap:
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:02 am

Ironically, as soon as i tried to look at that youtube link mentioned, it froze Firefox well and truly! Will do a full scan with malwarebytes and see what it says -- the 'short' one revealed nowt untoward.... Explorer STILL resolutely refuses to work on this machine tho...just won't go beyond 'connecting'..... (Firefox came back after I closed the rpogram down and restarted it...)
All very worrying....

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:14 am

The full scan revealed nowt...then I realised I hadn;t updated Malware first ( :oops: )....so did that and ran quick scan..it found two things but said neither were malicious..(HKey_local_machine/software...and HKey_classes_root/CLSID......

I tried to run IE again...still the same and this is what the error report said:
Problem Event Name: AppHangXProcB1
Application Name: iexplore.exe
Application Version: 8.0.6001.18882
Application Timestamp: 4b3ed243
Hang Signature: efc7
Hang Type: 32
Waiting on Application Name: iexplore.exe
Waiting on Application Version: 8.0.6001.18882
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Hang Signature 1: 4eb75d2a92e2979989847a082a0020ad
Additional Hang Signature 2: 44c2
Additional Hang Signature 3: ffeb1350f5e0a77f5a1eb02c3ab32a67
Additional Hang Signature 4: efc7
Additional Hang Signature 5: 4eb75d2a92e2979989847a082a0020ad
Additional Hang Signature 6: 44c2
Additional Hang Signature 7: ffeb1350f5e0a77f5a1eb02c3ab32a67

If this makes sense to anyone????
But right now, I'm hitting the sack and will do full scan tomorrow morning.... :problem:
I might try uninstalling IE and reinstalling tho and see what happens.......
PS..I haven;t had ANY of the 'symptoms' experienced by Chrissie...I'm just very puzzled as to why I have the same failures on two unconnected machines.....

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:00 am

PS.....I can't even FIND IE on my machine to uninstall it....where on earth does it lurk? (Bl*ody Vista!!)...
Am wondering if it's anything to do with IE 8 rather than 7 (on this machine anyway)....I 'updated' to 8 a little while ago....but on this machine, the problems started suddenly today....right after the 'blue screen of death' experience........coincidence???
On the 'old' machine, the internet connection was playing up at the time and to be honest, I haven't really tried much more with that one since this morning...much too concerned with trying to sort this one out!!!
(BTW the error message every time is the AppHang thingy......IE window comes up, and gets no further than 'connecting' and freezes there.....)

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:18 am

AppHangXProcB1 problem

There's a discussion here. Maybe worth a look.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/For ... 0edfab688e
Dave

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:21 pm

Thanks Mowser :)
Well the latest update is....FINALLY I've managed to get it to restore (two previous attempts failed) to 3 days ago on my 'proper' machine.......lo and behold IE now works, but Firefox still crashed. So I've uninstalled Firefox then downloaded it (v 3.6) and re-installed.....so far so good.
The only other thing is Windows Defender (which I accidentally turned on one day) keeps popping up with a 'failed to initialise' error message...and it won;t let me turn it off cos it won;t open it¬!`...could that have anything to do with anything?? And what should I do??
(BTW. I found IE in the end by using 'my computer'...but puzzled as to why it doesn;t appear in the list of programs to uninstall etc....)
Now to start and try to get the 'old' laptop working properly so I don;t have to keep having heart failure every time this one goes wrong!!!
And, yet again....VERY VERY MANY THANKS GUYS :clap: :clap:

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:31 pm

Guess what...I spoke too soon!!!
Does anyone know why, when I use hotmail in Firefox now, any 'fwd' or 'reply' messages suddenly DON'T show the 'original' message??...... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:35 pm

"Failed to initialise" is discussed here.

http://help.lockergnome.com/vista/Windo ... 68437.html
Dave

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:52 pm

Just looked at it Mowser, and it says click 'start', 'run' etc etc....but unless I'm being even more than usually dense, I don't have ANY 'run' option on my 'start'....(Vista Home Premium)....where will I find it???

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:07 pm

tj

win+R brings it up.
Dave

Conehead
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Conehead » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:11 pm

Type run in the search box after hitting start and it appears as a box.
Due to the high cost of energy, the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off until further notice.

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:04 pm

Thank you guys xx
Still having probs.....(Firefox resolutely refused to uninstall...OR run......) but have downloaded the latest version (3.6) and fingers crossed it seems to be working. Also IE8.....ditto...fingers equally crossed.
De-fragging other machine at the mo and will try same on there.....
GOD I HATE COMPUTERS!!!! :crazy:

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:21 pm

Does anyone have the 3.6 version of Firefox??? And use hotmail with it?
I'm wondering if it's some new-fangled feature..that it won't include original messages in 'reply'....or 'fwd' (unless it's an attachment).....maybe in an effort to try and cut out the 'chains' of email addresses when ppl don't bother deleting them before sending on??? Or am I clutching at straws??!!!

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:42 pm

Attaching original message to replies would be a feature of Hotmail, not the browser i.e. Firefox. The browser merely facilitates the display of Hotmail and its features. I don't use Hotmail but wonder if Hotmail has updated its site and defaulted to not attaching the original message. Is here something in Hotmail settings you can change?
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:55 pm

God knows .....I've opened it (hotmail) in IE 8 and it attaches stuff like always.....only in Firefox does it 'lose' the originals....driving me mad cos I HATE IE on principle and want to carry on using Firefox!!!