vodafone adsl

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
mijas-lady
Resident

vodafone adsl

Postby mijas-lady » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:30 pm

hi
does anyone have adsl connection with vodafone
i am especially interested in the 6 and 12 meg connection
any info would be appreciated

AndyT
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: vodafone adsl

Postby AndyT » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:00 am

I've had it for over a year and it's fantastic, get a true 12MB (in fact it's more like 15MB nowadays) connection and it's only gone down once, for about an hour, in that time - and you then use the 3G backup anyway. Comes with a phone too and free calls to Spanish landlines.. best of all no line rental and nothing to do with Telefonica. Can't recommend it enough :thumbup:

patchdog
Resident

Postby patchdog » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:24 am

So, how much do you pay for Vodaphone.

AndyT
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AndyT » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:02 am

39€(+iva) a month for their top service

10RDan
Resident

Postby 10RDan » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:40 am

Does that include line rental or do you still pay Telefonica for that ?

What's the best way to get info / sign up, online or in a vodafone shop ?

AndyT
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AndyT » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:13 pm

No line rental, they just take over the Telefonica line into your house and everything is cancelled.

I went into a Vodafone shop but you can find out more online http://vodafone.es/particulares/servicios/ADSL/

10RDan
Resident

Postby 10RDan » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:26 pm

So you pay NOTHING to Telefonica ?

My calls are diverted through a "third party" so, at the moment, I'm paying Telefonica for line rental and ADSL.

AndyT
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AndyT » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:42 pm

Not a cent, everything is through Vodafone

10RDan
Resident

Postby 10RDan » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:06 pm

Sorry to keep "going on" but can I ask if you transfered from Telefonica to Vodafone ?

If so, how long did it take and was it "painless" ?

SpanishBlue
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby SpanishBlue » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:20 pm

Can I add to that question - Were you left without a landline or ADSL for a period of time whilst you were being switched over?

Also, if needed, do Vodafone have support in English.

AndyT
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AndyT » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:24 pm

It went like this:

Walked into Vodafone shop, asked for the top package, signed paperwork, they gave me the router/dongle and phone. Told me I could use the 3G dongle for free until the ADSL was live.

About three days later a Telefonica man arrived at about 8pm and disconnected our line from their network
The following morning at about 8am a Vodafone man arrived and connected us to their network and made sure the router/adsl was working. So no phone overnight

That's it, all handled by Vodafone didn't even have to talk to Telefonica. I simply pay the 39€ a month by DD to Vodafone and the occasional little bit more if I've used it to call a mobile/higher rate number

No idea about English support, I've just used the Spanish one when I had the one problem

SpanishBlue
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby SpanishBlue » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:32 pm

Thanks Andy - I've been looking at a few alternatives to Telefonica, and Vodafone appears to be the best of what is on offer.
Last edited by SpanishBlue on Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

underwater
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby underwater » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:07 pm

Hi Andy
I have just phoned Vodafone and asked to transfer
from Telefonica to Vodafone's high velocity ADSL.
One question-How efficient was Telefonica in sending
out their final bill and cancelling their account with you?
I pay them by Direct Debit.
Jan

AndyT
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AndyT » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:42 pm

My situation is slightly different in that although there was a Telefonica line in the house, I had only just moved in (rental) and so the bill/line was in the owners name. As far as I know, am sure I would've heard something if not, everything got tied up very quickly.

10RDan
Resident

Postby 10RDan » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:29 am

Any updates to this thread ?

Has anyone got experience of going from a current Telefonica contract, with ADSL, to Vodafone ?

Thanks

10RDan
Resident

Postby 10RDan » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:42 am

I have been reading the Vodafone web pages re. ADSL but can't get my head round the "phone" business.

Do you keep your landline handset for landline calls or, as it sounds, do you get a "mobile" handset from Vodafone which makes landline calls ? :?:

Cheers

AndyT
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AndyT » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:07 am

I have a mobile phone, with charger base so in effect a cordless landline phone, which has a landline number (951 xxx xxx) and allows me free national calls. Someone else here (I think) used a normal phone with their setup, I´ve not tried this though as don´t have a landline phone after Telefonica took theirs away

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:17 am

Be VERY sure that an excellent mobile signal from Vodafone is available in your area, or it won't work.
The young man in the Vodafone shop in La Cañada, told us not to bother where we live, as they had big problems in getting an adequate signal.

10RDan
Resident

Postby 10RDan » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:34 am

So does that mean there is NO hardwired phone or router with the Vodafone system ?
ie. The phone line / cable coming into the house is redundant and everything, phone and internet, relies on a mobile signal ?

If so, why do they say that if the ADSL "goes down" you can use the supplied dongle ? Confused :?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:25 am

I do not have the system but have looked at it carefully.

It uses the normal landline and the router is much the same as any other router except that it has a slot for the USB dongle.

There is a port on the back to connect a phone but as far as I can see this is nothing special, it is just a convenient place to plug it it rather than using a microfilter and splitter which is the usual way.

You can attach any other phones to any wall socket using a microfilter in the usual way.

The handset that they show on their site appears to be an ordinary cordless phone.

The USB dongle is a 3g version and it is initially used when the equipment is installed but before Vodafone have taken over the line and sorted out the changeover with Telefonica. During this period access is automatically via the mobile dongle at no extra charge. As soon as the line is transferred it reverts back to normal ADSL connection via the landline.

If the landline should go down it reverts to mobile connection at no charge.

If you have a laptop you can use the dongle in it for a daily charge of about €3 with no download limits.

On the face of it, it looks like the perfect solution, much cheaper than Telefonica as there is no charge for the landline and all calls within Spain are free (apart from special numbers).

It gets round the usual advice of "stay with Telefonica because it's their line" as if there is a problem it diverts to the mobile connection.

BUT, as Pigs might fly pointed out, unless you have decent 3G signal forget it.

There may be some other options that tie it into your mobile phone (if it's Vodafone) but I have not researched that as it is of no interest to me.

Sid