Satellite Box

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
alicia
Andalucia.com Amigo

Satellite Box

Postby alicia » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:49 pm

Hi

I wonder if anyone can give me simple step by step instructions on how to connect up the new TV
to our satellite box!!!! I don´t know if I have bought wrong cables or what but when I go to the "AV" channel it just says nothing is connected!!!! To be honest, at this particular moment in time I feel like throwing the TV through the window........but then again probably not the best idea....

Would be really greateful for some simple instructions or explanations as I don´t know what HDMI actually is and am really fed up now.
:(

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: Satellite Box

Postby markwilding » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:12 pm

Alicia
The most obvious question first. Do you have a dish pointing in the right direction and is your receiver one of the following?
A freesat receiver
A sky reciever
If you have a freeview receiver it won't work.
check those points first and if the answer to the first question is yes and yes to either or the 2nd and third then we can have a look at the connections
If you have a freeview receiver you need to look at buying one of the other types

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:27 pm

You need to connect the satellite receiver to the TV with a SCART connector. This is a fairly thick black cable with a rectangular socket at either end with 21 pins.

IOf your TV has several AV inputs it may be necessary to press the AV button more than once to access the correct input.
Let's go Brandon!

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:42 pm

Sorry I didn't read your post properly
Do as Beach has said and you should be OK.
The HDMI socket is only needed if you have a a High Definition satallite receiver

alicia
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alicia » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:52 pm

Hi Mark and Beachcomber

Many thanks for coming back so quickly with your help. Yes the receiver dish is set up correctly and the satellite box is not a freeview one. The new tv is one of those slimline all singing all dancing LED ones. Previously we connected up the old tv to the satellite box with just a straightforward scart lead. The type with two sort of squarish "pin-heads" at each end (if that makes sense). I´m sure you know what I mean. When I bought the new TV, I knew I would have to buy new cable to connect it up to the satellite box and so I also bought a cable that still has a square scart head at one end - so that it will be able to connect it to the existing satellite box but the other end of the cable has three "plug" connections. Yellow, Red and White (I think from memory). Thing is, I don´t really know if this new cable is the right one - it seems right from looking at the manual that came with the new TV (which by the way is not very clear in telling you how to connect up DVDs, Videos, satellite boxes etc.). Sorry to come across bitter and twisted......... When I opened the box of the new TV there was a bag of bits and bobs and I came across a sort of "scart lead with a square connection to connect to the TV (I assume this is something to do with HDMI connection......but as I am not really sure what HDMI is.......I am completely in the dark. It´s never like this in the adverts is it...................................

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:06 pm

The Cable with the scart at one end and red, white and yellow at the other can be used and the inputs are often at the side of the TV.
Better still though, a cable with a scart both ends would be better. When you have it connected, press the AV button on your TV remote if you get a list of options on your screen try them all until you get a picture
If your cable is an HDMI type put away somewhere safe because although it can't be used now, it might come in handy if you buy a DVD or BLU-ray player with an HDMI connection in the future.
If you still get problems tell us the make of your TV and someone on here may have brought and set one up recently

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:25 pm

It is preferable to use the Scart to Scart but of you use the cable with the yellow, red and white connectors make sure you plug the yellow one into the corresponding socket marked 'Video' The other two are for audio left and right and it doesn't matter too much if you get them the wrong way around except that if a car drives across your screen from left to right it will sound as though it is going from right to left if you have them the wrong way around.

If you plug the red or white one into the video socket it will not cause any harm but you obviously will not get a video signal.
Let's go Brandon!

alicia
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alicia » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:14 pm

Hi

Finally got it set up so many thanks for all the help and advice. In the end I attached the new cable I bought with the square scart pin at one end to the Satellite box and the other end with the three different coloured plugs, yellow, white and red into the back of the TV. Think it may be in the video part. If in the future I buy a new cable with two square scart pin heads at each end, there is no place at the back of the new tv or at the side of it to insert a square scart pin head (well as far as I can see) - so will the TV be ok set up as I have done it!!!!! Hope so. Just glad to have British TV. I do love living in Spain and also love all things Spanish but Spanish TV is a bit dire. So just relieved. Celebrated with a couple of beers. Just to baptise the TV so to speak.

Many thanks again.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:53 pm

that will work fine.

but

it would be very very very very weird for a tv not to have a socket. u looked from below? it might be under a ledge or something. all tvs have had them since about 1990 and it is industry standard i think?

what make is it?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:49 pm

Would you be able to take a photograph of the connection panel at the rear of the TV or, alternatively as Spanish lad says, give the make and model of the TV.
Let's go Brandon!

alicia
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alicia » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:57 pm

Hi Beachcomber and Spanish Lad

Honestly. I have definitely checked everywhere and there is no scart pin head socket. It´s a Samsung Series 5 LED if that helps any.

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:51 pm

The Samsung site indicates the series 5 has one scart socket.
Brian.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:00 pm

http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/deta ... ype=led-tv

the australian version doesnt have a scart i wonder if the european one does ?

thats crazy.

Audio Out L-R (Mini Jack) 1
Component In (Y/Pb/Pr) 1
Composite In (AV) 1 (Common use for Component Audio In)
Digital Audio Out (Optical) 1
DVI Audio In (Mini Jack) 1 (Common use for PC)
Ethernet (LAN) 1
Headphone No
HDMI 4 (Side)
PC Audio In (Mini Jack) 1
PC In (D-sub) 1
RF In 1
RS232C (AV CONTROL) No
USB 2 (Side)
CI Slot No
Scart No

i would guess you´ll have to use the scart one end - 3 pin other end cable thingy instead ?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:29 pm

If that is the model you have page 8 of the manual will show the A/V connections.

http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/d ... g-0510.pdf

Did it come with a mini jack connected to three RCA phono sockets?
Let's go Brandon!