a new mobile!!!!!!

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
concorde
Resident

a new mobile!!!!!!

Postby concorde » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:03 pm

How to waste a few days.

Get a new mobile phone

that's it really, got a new smartphone on Thursday and are still trying to fathom everything out, how mad is that???

Only got the ruddy thing because our contract was up, it was a good deal, we even chose the flaming thing because my O.H. wanted a better camera facility with a macro and zoom lens.

We will never use most of the stuff on it , only texting, making calls and the odd pic.

It came with a user manual, that is a laugh, everything is self explanatory, really?

It is an LG Viewty GT405.

Went onto LG website to contact them and the laugh is the model is not listed so it won't let me send a query until I put in the model no.

I've looked on youtube, videojug, trawled google until I'm cross-eyed but no joy. Looked at millions of reviews, but they are all the same.

So, has anyone got one of these mobiles, and why doesn't the zoom zoom?

It does on the video facilty but not on the camera, if it's not working by Monday evening it's going back :evil:
I'm always disappointed when a liar's pants don't actually catch on fire.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Re: a new mobile!!!!!!

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:10 pm

on my nokia 5800 the zoom is a touch slider on the screen ?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:13 pm

concorde, you´re best to walk outside and ask any passing 10 year old how the damn thing works, they´ll know !!!!

.Griff.
Resident

Postby .Griff. » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:32 pm

Does the phone have volume controls on it? If so try pressing them when in camera mode.

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:00 pm

Thanks .Griff, tried that top button but it only works on the video

The weird thing is that the zoom side symbol lights up when on video, but remains dull when on camera.
The other side symbols work fine.

it seems strange that a zoom would be incorporated on a video function but not camera, perhaps this is so.

Bummer :thumbdown:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:11 pm

I can understand your problem.

I was looking at changing my phone for a small amount under the points system. I looked at a Samsung touch phone for about €50 and tried looking on the Internet for more details.

I found a 5 minute YouTube video and one from Samsung. Neither of them gave any idea as to how to make a phone call or send a text message - does it have a virtual keyboard - I don't know!

Lots of details about sending to Facebook and other useless Internet "Social Networking" sites but absolutely nothing about making a simple phonecall.

I give up! I shall stick to my current phone where you can actually dial a number by pressing keys!

Sid

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:31 pm

It's amazing that all you computer buffs can have so much trouble using a modern phone :crazy:
Surely it's just a mini computer. I upgraded earlier in the year from a Nokia N95 to an iphone. I just find it so easy. use it for calls, texts, camera, facebook, skype, messenger and the web. I have never had a touch phone before but now often use it when I am too lazy to boot up the computer. If this OAP can do it then everyone can!!

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:32 pm

This just gets better, I'd left my O.H. on his laptop in the study for a while, when I came back in he was very excited and said he'd found a forum where someone else had the same problem as him and he'd reponded.

When I asked him which forum I couldn't reply for laughing, and asked him the name of the poster. It was me,using another name :crazy:
If he'd though about it it's usually impossible to reply to a post unless you are a registered member, so in effect he'd answered my/his own post because we use the same e-mail.

Talk about confused, or in his case, dense! :roll:

El Cid, ironically, this phone is quite easy to use, although we certainly won't be needing all the things that come with it. Even I find it easier to use than our previous 3yr old Nokia, still I didn't spend 2 days solid studying that one.

Forgot to mention we'd rang the store and the young guy told us more info that was not in the user manual, why is that? How would we know that stuff without a full manual and more frightening, how did he know considering they must sell lots of different phones!

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:45 pm

Murbisa, I agree in a way, it has some amazing functions on it, and perhaps, when I have time, I'll have a play about, but having a cr***y little user manual that doesn't tell you much is hopeless.
When I buy a computer, I can get loads of help and a comprehensive on-line user manual, and also someone usually has the same computer and can help, also loads of forums to advise.

I'll have to give in and go to the phone store and get some help, as long as they speak slowly to me and keep a straight face, at least until I'm out of the door clutching lots of little reminder notes :(

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:12 pm

You will soon get used to it Concorde and I agree when you can't get something to work it can be maddening. There is no manual with the iphone but at least it is all on the web. They set it up for me in the vodafone shop and I figured the rest out for myself. Just have to remember to switch off roaming when I come back to Spain!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:46 pm

[quote="concorde"]

It is an LG Viewty GT405.

/quote]
Hi Concorde
I have a LG GT505, so presumably similar.
When you select the camera function there is an icon on the left hand side with a plus sign in a magnifier glass. Press this and you will get a slider at the bottom of the screen, use this to zoom in.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:15 pm

Hi Gerry, the magnifying glass (zoom) just says zoom when pressed but nothing happens, it doesn't light up or should i say goes white unlike the other icons on the left.

anyway, we are now trying to change ringtones, which is another story :thumbdown:

.Griff.
Resident

Postby .Griff. » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:14 am

I think I've found the perfect phone to solve the problem!! :lol:

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:36 am

perfect !
and that model has an easy to use zoom
to zoom in. ....walk forwards
to zoom out....take a few paces back

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:20 am

Ha Ha, very funny. :crazy:

There is no way I'm messing about with this phone today.